FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Spanned Clip Timecode Goes Past Midnight

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Gilman
P2 Spanned Clip Timecode Goes Past Midnight
on Mar 18, 2009 at 5:29:29 pm

I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I have a two hour show shot on four Panasonic 3700s and one 3000. All shooting 1080p/24 AVC-Intra on P2 cards. The timecode is TOD, and all the cameras and the sound were locked on the same TC. Unfortunately the show started late, and finished after midnight, and the TC reset to 00:00:00:00 3/4 of the way through four 2-hour spanned clips. Obviously the TOD should have been set 12 hours earlier and we could have avoided the whole problem, but thanks to all the overtime and meal penalties we can't afford a time machine at this point.

The P2CMS software has no trouble connecting up the spanned clips, but FCP refuses to do it. All of the spanned clips that reset to 0 are listed as multiple incomplete clips. Can anyone think of a way to get FCP to connect those spanned clips other than converting them all to DPX in P2CMS?

Barring some other solution, my plan at this point is to Log & Transfer the "incomplete" clips, then put them all in order in a timeline with timecode that starts exactly 12 hours earlier, then export a QT file and use that QT as an angle in a Multiclip. I'm going to change the TC to 12 hours earlier on all my clips so everything is consistent. It seems messy though.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: P2 Spanned Clip Timecode Goes Past Midnight
on Mar 18, 2009 at 7:26:05 pm

[Kyle Gilman] "but thanks to all the overtime and meal penalties we can't afford a time machine at this point. "

Damn. A time machine would totally help at this point.

[Kyle Gilman] " All of the spanned clips that reset to 0 are listed as multiple incomplete clips"

can you explain this to me? If you have multiple clips, why not just join them in the timeline? Does FCP see all the clips at all or is it missing info?

[Kyle Gilman] "Barring some other solution, my plan at this point is to Log & Transfer the "incomplete" clips, then put them all in order in a timeline with timecode that starts exactly 12 hours earlier, then export a QT file and use that QT as an angle in a Multiclip. I'm going to change the TC to 12 hours earlier on all my clips so everything is consistent. It seems messy though."

No, actually that was what I was going to say. You can also change the tc of the clips themselves through the Modify > Timecode menu.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kyle Gilman
on Mar 18, 2009 at 7:58:37 pm

Solved!
David Wulzen gave me this idea
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/193/873780

I went through and changed the start timecode in the Contents/Clip/*******.xml files for all 70 of the clips I wanted to span, and now FCP joins them up with no problem. This saves a lot of importing and exporting time. When you're looking at over 650 GB to copy back and forth, the time really adds up.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 18, 2009 at 8:16:10 pm

Yeah, be careful with that. Duplicate all the XML files in case you screw up (nothing against you).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kyle Gilman
on Mar 18, 2009 at 8:18:19 pm

Yes! Naturally this was on copies of copies of copies. The original media lives untouched in a temperature-controlled vault with Imperial Guards stationed 12-deep in front of the door. Don't mess with your original media kids!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 18, 2009 at 8:26:42 pm

And when you do get it working, make sure to copy the new XML files to your backed up footage.

Make sense?

Return to posts index

Bjoern Adamski
on Mar 19, 2009 at 9:34:52 pm

Please note that there are also timecode tracks within the MXF files. Editing the XMLs might work for FCP but it cause issues with other solutions that read timecode directly from the MXF ... like ours. :-)

---------------------
Product Manager
MXF4mac
http://mxf4mac.com

Return to posts index

Rajesh Lad
on Mar 19, 2009 at 10:33:20 pm

There is a Panasonic option called P2 Mobile. It has an editing capablity. All you have to do is select the clip, Open the playlist menu. Go to Setting and make sure you set TC replace then you can set your own TC. Once that done go to menu File Append the selected clip Once the clip is on the timeline as an event. Open Menu go to operation then EDIT COPY to another card and your new clip will have new TC because it generate complete new clip out of your old clip and it will have new TC no computer needed.

Thank you
Rajesh Lad
Panasonic

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]