FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is anyone using the new HPX-171 yet?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dexter Brockhurst
Is anyone using the new HPX-171 yet?
on Mar 18, 2009 at 11:05:53 am

Does anyone have actual hands-on shooting experience of the new 171 yet?

The decent review over on PanasonicPro-User reckon it's a leap forward from its predecessor IQ wise and that the ergonomics work well. Aside from some nice shorts (south of france is looking good right now), including a short made in Marseille very recently by Rick, what else is out there? Any views/experiences? Any other links?

I'm expecting it to have the usual DoF limitations from that size of chip, but I've been impressed by what I've heard so far: anyone got more info?

Return to posts index

Dexter Brockhurst
Re: Is anyone using the new HPX-171 yet?
on Mar 18, 2009 at 2:11:22 pm

The link to the Marseille short film was wrong in my recent post (one character misspelt) . Here is the correct link to the footage from the HPX-171 film shot in Marseille recently. Sorry for the error.
Dexter

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 18, 2009 at 4:25:57 pm

That is some great footage.

I have used the HVX200 for a while and just used the 170 a couple of times. FIrst difference is the weight, so much lighter without the tape deck.

Main difference, better chip (especially in low light)
wider angle on lens (con- shorter tele)
HD/SD SDI out
LCD Viewfinder has scopes and a nice little focus assist on it

If you liked the 200 you will like the 170 (171) even better.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 18, 2009 at 5:11:47 pm

I have used the NTSC version, the 170. Yeah, it is lighter, performs better in low light, by a half a stop, HD SDI out is huge, full sized firewire out is huge, so now you can use this as a bridge to get your signal out to an HD monitor. Three focus assists, lens goes a tad wider than the other models, even the new 200A.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dexter Brockhurst
on Mar 18, 2009 at 5:27:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was interested to hear about low light performance; the Marseille footage doesn't really give an impression of what it can do under low light conditions.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 19, 2009 at 6:33:31 am

Low light - the key word is better THAN the original 200. It still suffers from a small chip. This camera still wants well light scenes.

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Mar 18, 2009 at 6:05:37 pm

Hi Dexter:

I have a lot of experience with the HVX200 and the HPX170. You may find this to be a helpful read if you really want the nitty gritty details of the 170/171: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hpx_170_evolution_brockett.html

It is a great camera, I am in the midst of shooting a project that you may be hearing about in the industry trades on the HPX170 and the HPX300.

Enjoy!

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Dexter Brockhurst
on Mar 19, 2009 at 9:05:53 am

thanks for that. some of the other guys around here use varicams for some of their TV work, and they remind me that you'll never get the sort of lo-light capability they can with the sort of small chips in 171/170 class cams. it's worth keeping things in perspective. cheers

Return to posts index

Dexter Brockhurst
on Mar 19, 2009 at 9:30:50 am

Dan, I've just read your review. A lot of detail and really helpful. Thanks. Dexter

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Mar 20, 2009 at 12:49:09 am

Hiya:

Glad you found it helpful. I just did a shoot this morning with my 170, an EMT Fire rescue exercise for the city of LA. Beautiful footage, shot a lot of 48 and 60fps, it just looks awesome. Highly recommend this camera.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]