FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Log Gold and MXF4QT

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Romanis
HD Log Gold and MXF4QT
on Mar 16, 2009 at 9:37:49 pm

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with these P2 data handling apps. In particular with HD Log and how it works with LTO 3a and copying files to drives and LTO at the same time. Does anyone use the QT export function in HD Log?
Jeremy, I have seen your article on MXF4QT and understand you use Shotput (?). Is there any AVC intra support yet? Have you had experience with both HD Log and MXF4QT?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: HD Log Gold and MXF4QT
on Mar 17, 2009 at 5:47:37 pm

Shotput is a simple program that offloads the data from your p2 cards and that's pretty much it. It doesn't help in the editing process, although it's a great and handy application for out in the field. It does not matter if the data on the p2 cards is stored in AVC-I or DVCPro HD (or dv50 or dv). So yes, Shotput supports AVC-I.

I don't have experience with HDLog and LTO tape, but I have used P2 Log Pro, which is HD Logs little sibling. In all honestly, it does the job, but the interface is just okay. It's kind of clunky, but it does definitely work.

MXF4QT is totally totally cool. The only down side is that there's no native AVC-I workflow implemented on the Mac for FCP yet so I can only use MXF4QT Import on DVCPro HD jobs. MXF4QT does work with AVC-I, but FCP decodes the material as 8 bit RGB instead of 10 bit YUV. This is not the fault of MXF4QT, but rather quicktime/FCP. Native AVC-I support will have to come from Apple and I encourage you to send feedback to allow native AVC-I editing within FCP. This will speed up a lot of workflows.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

Hope this helps.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]