FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question for any Panasonic PCD35 owners out there...

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helmut Kobler
Question for any Panasonic PCD35 owners out there...
on Mar 10, 2009 at 7:38:00 am

I'm talking about Panasonic's new 5 card reader, which includes a PCIe card for very fast connection to your Mac or PC (not the USB connection of the older PCD20). I'm wondering: if I already have a PCIe board installed in a Mac (such as a CalDigit PCIe connector card, which ships with the HDOne RAID system and features two PCIe connector ports on the card) if I could drive the Panasonic card reader from that existing PCIe connector card, instead of installing Panasonic's included PCIe card.

The reason I'm wondering is because I would hate to give up an entire expansion board slot in my Mac Pro just to accommodate Panasonic's PCIe connector card, when I already have a PCI Connector card (from Cal Digit) that happens to have a spare PCIe port.

Any help much appreciated, thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Question for any Panasonic PCD35 owners out there...
on Mar 10, 2009 at 4:33:02 pm

[Helmut Kobler] "if I could drive the Panasonic card reader from that existing PCIe connector card, instead of installing Panasonic's included PCIe card. "

I highly doubt it as the HDOne's reader won't read Panasonics drivers (at least I don't think it will). I am speculating on that bit I would imagine that to be true.

[Helmut Kobler] "not the USB connection of the older PCD20"

PCD20 has fw800 as well.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
Jan, Jan..: Question for any Panasonic PCD35 owners out there...
on Mar 10, 2009 at 9:05:15 pm

Helmut call Caldigit and ask about their HDone extraPCIe port...

I need a bigger raid 5 and had looked at the PCD35, but nixed it due to Mac space,,,,,

And if they could share the same card.... that would be so cool....

Jan, Jan,,, Your buddy over at Caldigit might lend you a couple HDone raids for your NAB counter..

Now that would be some HOT collaborative economic savvy engineering...

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
Re: Jan, Jan..: Question for any Panasonic PCD35 owners out there...
on Mar 11, 2009 at 6:21:55 am

Yea, I had already asked CalDigit, but they said that the 2-port PCIe card from the HDOne was simply providing two standard PCIe cable connectors. They thought the Panasonic PCD35 *might* work when connected to their card, *IF* the Panasonic's own native PCIe card was similarly providing just a standard PCIe connector, and not adding additional circuitry that the PCD35 might require.

Maybe I can find a dealer who carries both products, and might be able to do a test. I could always consider the PCD20, but I think most of the card dumps I'll be doing will be at my desk, and not in the field. So having a 1Gb PCIe connection (versus even FireWire 800...thanks for the reminder, Jeremy!), might be a nice thing...

I'll let you guys know when/if I figure this out, thanks...

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Mar 12, 2009 at 2:47:12 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to the list about this. It isn't my product to manage and thus was at a shortage of information. So here is the response I got this am about the interface:

The PCI-e card that ships with the unit is the only Panasonic certified method of connection to a PCD-35 on Mac or PC. That being said, for MBP users, we have tested a 3rd party EX34 to PCI-e adapter from Magma systems, and found that the PCD-35 driver communicates to the PCD-35 as if it were connecting directly to the PCI-e card.
Additionally,looking at the available Raid cards at Cal digits website, they appear to be physically incompatible with the TDP 18 Pin Male to Male cable used to connect the PCD-35 to the PCI-e card.

PS: If Helmut absolutely needs PCI-e expansion, he may want to look into the Magma products. His Cal Digit Raid setup is expensive, and so are Magma's solutions, but they have product to get around the 4 card limitation of a Mac Pro Tower.

This is from our P2 Product Engineer.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Mar 12, 2009 at 5:45:33 pm

Jan,, Thanks for the follow thru.. You are awesome as usual. You have encouraged me to revisit your PCD-35, with your solution to hook up our MacBook Pro.

Next month will be one year with your HPX500. A great purchase,as was our HVX200...thanks

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Mar 17, 2009 at 5:30:28 am

Thanks for the info, Jan. That's too bad that I can't use a CalDigit card to connect both a raid and the PDC35.

I might have to consider getting a PDC20 and connecting it via FireWire 800 (saving a precious PCIe slot in my Mac), but I really liked the idea of a fast-as-possible transfer rate for five P2 cards. I could always get a PCIe expansion chassis from Dulce or Magma, but those are thousands of dollars...ie, not so attractive!

It's too bad Apple couldn't squeeze one more PCIe card slot into the Mac Pro. 3 open slots is really tough to work with these days!

One question, Jan: Would the PCD35, connected with a PCIe card, be significantly faster for transferring data than a PCD20 via FireWire 800? I would expect so, but you never know how things work out in the real world...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]