FORUMS: list search recent posts

need on the fly storage solutions

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roli Rivelino
need on the fly storage solutions
on Mar 4, 2009 at 6:09:31 pm

I've done a search on this forum for similar subjects and now need a bit of extra advice.

Basically I've just spent just under £6000 ($7500) setting myself up with a Panasonic HVX P2 camera, a mac pro, and Final Cut Studio, and a couple of terabyte hard drives, I mention the money because I'm pretty much at the end of my budget and want to save as much as poss from now on.

My question is what is the cheapest and safest (I realise one may compromise the other) way; prefferably using my existing equipment, to dump my footage on the fly?

I have 2 8GB P2 cards and an FS-100 which will store 112 mins top quality footage. I also have a 1TB USB2 seagate drive and a 300GB firewire drive with stuff on, but I'll move that if that's the way to go as far as dumping footage is concerned. I also have a dell laptop, but I'm guessing there will be problems if I dump the footage on a pc, then later try and transfer it across to my Mac desktop and into FCP, however I may be wrong; please enlighten.

Many Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: need on the fly storage solutions
on Mar 4, 2009 at 8:00:20 pm

[Roli Rivelino] "My question is what is the cheapest and safest (I realise one may compromise the other) "

As of right now, we use a cheap 2 drive SATA enclosure (it was $60 US) and format them separately (not even RAID1). In the field I use Shotput Pro which will copy the data to the two drives simultaneously. Eventually those two drives will then become the archive and backup on the shelf when they get sort of full.

We are looking to get a more robust archiving system, but it is most deinitely not going to be cheap.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Mar 4, 2009 at 11:09:11 pm

Hi Roli,
Are you looking for a transport medium until you get back to your studio, or are you looking for permanent data storage of the original P2 files?

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Mar 5, 2009 at 9:58:56 am

Firstly thanks to Jeremy for your answer, to answer you Mark, yes it's a transport medium till I get back to the studio.

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Mar 5, 2009 at 5:48:41 pm

I use these if AC power is a problem <http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10949>. These have proven tough and reliable, power off the FW bus on the Mac book Pro. In fact we have shipped dozens of these around the world to clients with no problems.
Otherwise we use a Caldigit dual enclosure with two 750 GB eSata drives on RAID 1. The drives are hot swappable and the thing has worked flawlessly for over a year now. I have just got a cheaper Taurus (1.5TB) alternative to see how it performs.
Matthew.

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Mar 6, 2009 at 10:55:33 am

"I use these if AC power is a problem"

I didn't get what 'these' were, I think you meant to put in a link there Matthew :-)

thanks

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Mar 9, 2009 at 10:16:37 pm

Hi Roli,
Sorry for the late reply, been away.
this is the link <http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10949>

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Mar 9, 2009 at 10:56:42 pm

That's OK, but I'm sorry but I still can't see the link maybe it's my computer.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Mar 9, 2009 at 11:07:21 pm

No, it is not your computer, Roli. The problem is that Matthew put lesser-than and greater-than brackets around his link and that is not a proper HTML command or call. Those brackets are Linux command characters and so the system thinks he is issuing a command and it doesn't see what the command is (as it is not correct) and so it disappears. The link should just be posted without the extra tags at the front and back of the link, if he posted it without the extras, it would work.

here is the link: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10949

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Mar 10, 2009 at 11:32:00 am

aha! Many thanks Ron.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]