FORUMS: list search recent posts

King Black Acid - Let's Burn (music video shot with HVX200)

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremiah Scott
King Black Acid - Let's Burn (music video shot with HVX200)
on Mar 3, 2009 at 11:51:46 pm

Hello there,

Here is a music video that we did for King Black Acid. The song is Let's Burn and it's on the Underworld: Rise of the Lycans soundtrack. I shot it with the HVX200 in 720p 24pn (love the camera). We actually shot it in Daniel John Riddle's (KBA) garage in Portland, OR. For the white set we used white gaff tape and put a bunch of white sheets together and stapled it to the ceiling. We back lit the sheets with 4 lights (4 x 450 watts) and tried to get a 100% zebra for as much of the sheets we could (I pulled the rest out with Magic Bullet Looks in Final Cut). For the black set we used a 20x20 & 12x12 duvetyne but put it up with C-stands covered in black cloth so we didn't ruin the duvetyne. I edited it entirely in Final Cut on a quad-core Mac Pro. All of the lens flares where done practically on set. And Like I mentioned above, I used Magic Bullet Looks for the color correction, love it! I don’t know Color well enough to have used it in such a quick turnaround. We shot it on 4 partial days and then I edited it in 4 days to make our release date by February 25th. On Saturday the 21st alone I edited for no less than 16 hours. It was tiring but I’m happy with the final product.

There are a few versions below... Crappy YouTube & MySpace but we are still trying to get our watch count up on those. Then there is a really nice Flash version we have on Vimeo in HD and then a great version on our website in QuickTime as well. Please take a look and let me know what you think. Questions are completely welcome. Thanks!

&

Vimeo HD Flash: http://www.vimeo.com/3383413

Or a QuickTime version on our Revolver DMS website.

Any feedback on YouTube or MySpace is so hugely appreciated.

Thanks so much for taking a look!
~Jeremiah L Scott

Jeremiah L Scott
Cinematographer/Photographer/Director
Revolver DMS

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
Re: King Black Acid - Let's Burn (music video shot with HVX200)
on Mar 4, 2009 at 7:06:31 am

What, no gratuitous chick shots??
Just the band??
Otherwise, very MTV...

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.3, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Scott
on Mar 4, 2009 at 6:51:54 pm

For some reason I accidentally posted two identical links to YouTube instead of one for MySpace as well so here it is...

MySpace

Thanks!
~Jeremiah

Jeremiah L Scott
Revolver DMS

Return to posts index

Billy Morocco
on Mar 4, 2009 at 11:54:49 pm

Jeremiah,

Very nice. I like the way you integrated fast cutting and more expansive, detailed shots. I wonder if I could ask a question, since I have just been asked to work on a video for a friend's group.
For the fast moving shots; I especially mean the fast, short zooms in and out... Is any of this frenetic movement done in camera? If I were to have to recreate your moves, I'd do them in FCP. But I'm wondering if maybe there are some standard camera moves that go with such production.

Thanks. And thanks especially for the description of the set.

Bill M

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Scott
on Mar 5, 2009 at 12:23:05 am

Hey there Bill,

Thanks so much for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

The fast zooms in and out were done in camera. I turn everything auto off on my camera, have my hand on the front of the lens and pull in and out really fast and quick to focus when necessary. Every once in a while I speed things up, or reversed it, or pulled out a few frames here and there, or repeated 2 or 3 frames in FCP but most everything was done in camera. I've listeded to the song so much that I really just tried to move the camera with the music. It didn't always work but then again I didn't use those shots. :)

If you have any specific shots you would like explained I would be happy to dissect.

Thanks!
~Jeremiah

Jeremiah L Scott
Revolver DMS

Return to posts index

Billy Morocco
on Mar 5, 2009 at 5:20:41 am

Jeremiah,

As I am new to the camera, and haven't watched videos in years, I'll take you up on your offer. Around 3:50 there are some slo-mo / speed adjusted shots. Are these also completely in-camera? - the result of takes with higher shutter speeds?

Thanks for the detail on the in-camera work. After a couple more viewings I start to see how the multiple takes interact. I start to feel better about how I'll be able to plot out this video.

One thing I start to realize, when thinking about shooting a "live" video (I mean just the band, and not a narrative with the song as background): I think it is important to restrict yourself to a few effects. I like how you used blurs, and image adjustments during the instrumental bridge. It sort-of kept the parts of the song more distinct.
I'm making a note of that. Thankfully, I will be working on a sort-of country song, so I won't have that pace to keep up with.

thanks a lot, again.

BM

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Scott
on Mar 5, 2009 at 4:23:23 pm

Heya,

Yes, all of those shots starting at 3:50 are all done in camera (slomo and fast). The HVX200 definitely has that feature so make sure you play around with it before hand. When you overcrank or undercrank with that camera it will not record audio however so you will need to sync things up by eye in FCP. If you have the manual it will tell you how to set it up. You will still want to shoot in 720p 24pN but it will be an additional setting in the menu. Easy to locate in the manual. The exact way to do it escapes me at the moment as I'm at work and can't look at the menu but like I said it easy so definitely play around with it.

Yeah, because I was dealing with a 4 and 1/2 minute song and only doing performance I wanted to make sure it stayed fresh throughout. I made sure that if I did an effect that I didn't show off all of them right at the beginning.

Thanks,
~Jeremiah

Jeremiah L Scott
Revolver DMS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]