FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD footage to .mxf AND printed to mini DV tape via HPX170 & FCP

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Ryan
HD footage to .mxf AND printed to mini DV tape via HPX170 & FCP
on Mar 3, 2009 at 2:13:17 am

I have a client that wants footage captured to both DVCPRO HD on an external hard drive (as .avi files) as well as the same footage downconverted to mini DV tape. Essentially, they want the HD files for the future but need mini DV tape to create a DVD today.

I know how to shoot and save the P2 (.mxf) files to an external drive. I also know how to Log and Transfer into FCP. What I'm not sure about is saving as AVI. Does .mxf work on systems that require AVI files?

I also don't know if it is possible to dub and down convert HD to mini DV (SD) tape via FCP directly from the .mxf files saved to the external drive? This is a great example of how it would still nice to have the tape option of the HVX200A. Although, I'm not sure even that camera can save HD footage to P2 and print it to the tape at the same time?

Can anyone explain the steps for this print to tape workflow? Also, what implications or issues will we need to consider when the mini DV tapes are brought in for editing? Would it be better to shoot in 720 60i vs. 30P? It's going to be used on both the web and DVD so I thought 30P would be a good option?

I have and HPX170, FCP 6.0 and a Sony DVCAM/Mini DV deck with a bunch of mini DV tape collecting dust.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: HD footage to .mxf AND printed to mini DV tape via HPX170 & FCP
on Mar 3, 2009 at 3:14:09 am

Wy not edit the HD and make an SD DVD?

It will produce a cleaner encode and will require way less transcoding/conversion problems you might get with creating mini DV tapes.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim Ryan
on Mar 3, 2009 at 12:46:54 pm

I wish I was doing the edits but I am not. They are not yet ready to work with HD and just want it for future use. So that's why I'd like to provide them with a hard drive copy of hd files and
mini dv tapes with same footage in sd.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 3, 2009 at 2:25:59 pm

Well, it's going to be very time consuming. How much footage do you anticipate?

You can log and transfer the footage and then use Compressor to make AVIs, but your timecode might not match to the original HD footage which might be a problem for them later on.

You can bring in all the footage and downconvert out of FCP to make dv tape, but again, your timecode might not match.

I agree with your choice of 720p30 becuase whenyou downconverted to SD, it will still be 30p.
If you shoot 720p60, the footage will be 60i SD when converted. I'd shoot 30p to keep the progressive nature of the video for the web and DVDs on computers.

[Tim Ryan] "Would it be better to shoot in 720 60i vs. 30P?"

720p is always progressive never interlaced.

They aren't ready for HD? I think this might be the time for them to jump in. What system do they edit on?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim Ryan
on Mar 3, 2009 at 2:33:59 pm

I expect 4-5 hours of footage and am not worried about time code. So, it sounds like I can do the following without HD to SD conversion issues (other than potential time code change):

1) log and transfer my HD footage
2) bring all of the footage into a FCP timeline (set to SD- NTSC 720 x 480 30P)
3) Print timeline to SD tape via DV deck

This then allows me to have the .MXF files on the hard drive as well as converted Quick Time .mov (via the Log and Transfer process) AND copies of the HD footage converted to SD on a mini DV tape?

Will the mini DV footage keep the 16:9 aspect ratio? Any other concerns?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 3, 2009 at 3:09:27 pm

[Tim Ryan] "I expect 4-5 hours of footage and am not worried about time code."

Why not? If they do indeed want to match back to this footage some day, or they make transcripts, the SD footage won't match the HD footage. Just a consideration...you know best as it's your project.

[Tim Ryan] "1) log and transfer my HD footage
2) bring all of the footage into a FCP timeline (set to SD- NTSC 720 x 480 30P)
3) Print timeline to SD tape via DV deck "

1) Yes
2) No. I'd take your raw footage from the capture scratch and set up a custom preset in Compressor to process the whole thing in a batch. If you have a Kona card and a dv deck with SDI, you can also play the footage out real time to a deck if that's easier for you.
3)Yes

[Tim Ryan] "This then allows me to have the .MXF files on the hard drive as well as converted Quick Time .mov (via the Log and Transfer process) AND copies of the HD footage converted to SD on a mini DV tape?"

That's right.

[Tim Ryan] "Will the mini DV footage keep the 16:9 aspect ratio? "

I would make the footage anamorphic in the geometry pane of Compressor or if using a Kona card, use the anamorphic down convert option.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim Ryan
on Mar 3, 2009 at 3:12:03 pm

All cool; but don't have KONA card.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 3, 2009 at 4:20:00 pm

Compressor it is.

Return to posts index