FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2/AVC-Intra, Avid and Discovery Channel

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Pierre
P2/AVC-Intra, Avid and Discovery Channel
on Mar 2, 2009 at 8:27:02 pm

Hi.

I'm up for a job for the discovery channel. I'll be interviewing with the producers in about a week, so I'm doing a little research to give them a couple camera options. I would prefer to stay with Panasonic / AVC-Intra although one of their editors mentioned a problem with p2 and avid (no details were given)? That doesn't sound right to me...

Seems like P2 / AVC-INTRA would be very Avid friendly, but I just wanted to double check. anyone here have any experience with that?
I know they're going to want to bring the footage into the avid at like 10 to 1 compression for the "offline" in an effort to save hard drive space.... any problems with that?

Any Avid experts lurking around here?

Also, I'm assuming AVC-Intra (for instance the HPX-2000 or 3000) would be an acceptable HD acquisition format for The Discovery Channel (I hear it's very close to D5 quality).
Can anyone point me to a list of acceptable acquisition and delivery formats for Discovery?

thank you,
Michael

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
Re: P2/AVC-Intra, Avid and Discovery Channel
on Mar 3, 2009 at 12:02:06 am

"""into the avid at like 10 to 1 compression for the "offline"""

Leave it to the Avid folks to still prefer to work "offline" Storage is cheap... Tell them about Final Cut Pro. Save time, save money, go FCP..

I am also interested in knowing what problems Avid has with P2.

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
on Mar 3, 2009 at 12:14:30 am

They own several Avids, so I highly doubt they're going to switch to FCP.
I think the "problems" with Avid are most likely user error on their part.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 3, 2009 at 12:15:41 am

http://news.creativecow.net/story/860489

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
on Mar 3, 2009 at 12:30:23 am

Thanks for the link Shane : )

Yes I'm sure I can get the accepted specs from Discovery, the problem is I don't have the job yet (knock on wood)... and since I have a limited amount of information (the title ect...) I wasn't able to gain access to the Discovery PMD Production Guide which I'm sure outlines their requirements.

I would be totally shocked if they didn't accept AVC-Intra shot on an HPX2000 or HPX3000.
Or XDCAM-HD shot on a Sony F700... but I just wanted to double check.

thanks again.
Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 3, 2009 at 12:23:33 am

[Michael Pierre] "Seems like P2 / AVC-INTRA would be very Avid friendly, but I just wanted to double check. anyone here have any experience with that?"

It is Avid Friendly...just IMPORT>P2>CLIPS TO BIN and that will point to all of the media on the P2 cards or backup drive. Then simply CLIP>CONSOLIDATE and copy or Transcode to whatever offline format you want. ONLINING that...reimporting that? Not sure. Avid might have a workflow video for that on YouTube. Ah...found something.

The channel is found here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/avidtechnology

[Michael Pierre] "Any Avid experts lurking around here?"

I would think so, this being the AVID forum and all.

[Michael Pierre] "Also, I'm assuming AVC-Intra (for instance the HPX-2000 or 3000) would be an acceptable HD acquisition format for The Discovery Channel (I hear it's very close to D5 quality)."

Yes, it is. And it is D5 quality.

[Michael Pierre] "Can anyone point me to a list of acceptable acquisition and delivery formats for Discovery?"

Since you are working on a show for Discovery, you should be able to ask them for a list. Or they should provide you with a list. Pretty important thing when shooting a show for them. They have a three tiered format list...Bronze, Silver and Gold.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Mar 4, 2009 at 7:43:52 am

AVC Intra is definitely in the Gold camp at Discovery. I'm working on a Discovery show now and just double-checked their Producer's Portal web site--yep, there was AVC-I in the Gold column.

Return to posts index

Jess Nottage
on Sep 2, 2009 at 10:25:49 pm

The problem is with the P2 AVC INTRA 100 media on Avid is that it requires heavy duty kit to be able to decode and play back the media real time. I'm sure the same is true for FCP.

HP 8600 quadcore with a Nitris DX I/O is required to create and playback multi layered edit sequences.

This is fine except most production company's are only willing to pay for an offline suite to cut in.

Therefore transcoding to a lower resolution is required in order to offline in a typical offline Avid suite.

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
on Sep 3, 2009 at 1:38:19 am

I didn't realize it was so difficult in Avid. In FCP you can cut "online" 1920X1080 Avc-Intra @ 100MB/s very easily even with a firewire 800 drive... you don't need any crazy expensive hardware to handle it or decode it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 3, 2009 at 3:26:40 pm

[Jess Nottage] " I'm sure the same is true for FCP. "

All it takes is an intel machine. My laptop can do it no problem.

[Jess Nottage] "Therefore transcoding to a lower resolution is required in order to offline in a typical offline Avid suite."

Does Avid offer this functionality?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 3, 2009 at 4:53:30 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Does Avid offer this functionality? "

It does.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]