FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filming a sporting event.

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Conner
Filming a sporting event.
on Mar 2, 2009 at 1:53:00 pm

Good day all. I just received in my new HPX170. I love it so far and am very excited to start using it. This weekend I will be traveling to battle creek, MI to film the state finals for high school wrestling. I am VERY big into creating highlight and recruitment videos for the sport. So here is my question...

Do you have any suggestions for settings I should be shooting in? It is an indoor event with pretty good lighting. I am VERY new to the whole HD thing so I wasn't sure what to shoot in... 720p? or 1080i? The final product for this will be mainly for the web and to DVD.

Also is there a recommended frame rate and shutter speed I should be shooting at as well? I don't have any intentions of slowing down clips, but would like to have that option if needed.

Thanks a ton! Any advice would be great!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Filming a sporting event.
on Mar 2, 2009 at 3:29:00 pm

Definitely 720p/24p. Then you can go into variable frame rates for nice slow mo shots of key action.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Raven Plenty
on Mar 2, 2009 at 4:35:24 pm

Wouldn't 720p60 be a better choice, allowing for smoother slow-mo footage? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 2, 2009 at 5:23:11 pm

Um nope. A 60p timebase means you have no slow motion because you're already shooting at 60 fps. If you want 60 fps to read as slow motion it has to be over a 24p timebase.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Conner
on Mar 2, 2009 at 7:24:24 pm

Thank you so much Noah!! I will give that a shot!

Return to posts index

Raven Plenty
on Mar 2, 2009 at 8:12:02 pm

[Noah Kadner] "If you want 60 fps to read as slow motion it has to be over a 24p timebase. "

Gotcha. That makes perfect sense, when shooting footage you know is intended to be overcranked. Are there ever situations where one would just shoot at 60 fps (or 48 or whatever) and then manipulate the speed as desired later on in post? Thank you for satisfying my curiousity.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]