FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 Cameras: one Film Mode, one Video Mode

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Billy Morocco
2 Cameras: one Film Mode, one Video Mode
on Feb 11, 2009 at 2:52:34 am

Hello Friends,

I just finished my first job as P2 loader on a weekend shoot. I am now about to deliver the HD with footage to Director/Editor.
The shooting was to be in 720p30

Here's the problem: On the first couple set-ups, the two HVX200s were not set-up correctly.
I think that I made a good decision to say something when I offloaded the first 2 cards, and the footage was distinctly different.

Now that everything is catalogued, however, I want a better understanding of what was going wrong.

As I recall, the camera shooting the "bad" footage was set in "Film CAM mode" with 24 as the Frame Rate. In my FCP timeline this shows up as Sped Up footage.

Am I remembering this correctly? Is there anything that can be done? I know I sound like an idiot, and believe me, if there was a wireless signal on location, I'd have been typing from there.

Unfortunately, I don't have a P2 card at home to test this, and then ask a better question.

Thanks to all for this forum. I'm getting my mind around this stuff, slowly.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 2 Cameras: one Film Mode, one Video Mode
on Feb 11, 2009 at 4:37:55 am

So what is the other camera's frame rate and format?

-Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Billy Morocco
Re: 2 Cameras: one Film Mode, one Video Mode
on Feb 11, 2009 at 7:13:17 pm

Noah,

Yeah, I left that out. The majority of the footage plays perfectly in the Sequence I set-up with 720p30.

That is what we eventually set both cameras to. The problem is I am guessing on what the "incorrect" camera was set as. Didn't think to write this down at the time.

I don't want to give a description that is impossible, but I believe that the Camera we had to change was set as Film Cam and 24-frame rate.

The bottom line is: I realized the mistake, and like to think I would check that before shooting anything, myself. I don't have my camera nearby, right now.

[...EDITED POST....]: I just did some more searching with "default" as the key word. And I think I have the explanation: Both cameras were set up in Recording format at 720p30. But the "bad" on was ALSO set to 24 frames in SCene File (and, I believe set to Film Cam).

This explains both the MOS shots and the sped up action.

Can I rectify this by fitting these clips to a separate timeline? This doesn't seem to work, because in FCP ALL the clips read as 29.97. So maybe I have to re-import from MXF files?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]