FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200A - a way to turn off stop/start detection?? Asking for DP

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Heffner
HVX200A - a way to turn off stop/start detection?? Asking for DP
on Feb 10, 2009 at 3:56:20 pm

Hi all,
I am an editor, not a DP, but I'm asking this for the DP.

Is there a way on the camera to turn off start/stop detection so that when you are shooting you can get one continuous "reel" to import into FCP from the P2 cards?

I could swear there was, when working on a previous project. Apparently, I'm wrong? Can someone answer this? I just find it cumbersome, with no assistant on these gigs, to have to deal with many clips rather than scrub through a reel, mark, log and subclip and organize simultaneously.

Thanks - and I appreciate all responses.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: HVX200A - a way to turn off stop/start detection?? Asking for DP
on Feb 10, 2009 at 4:12:38 pm

Start stop detection like dv? Not that I am aware of.

A new clip with new metadata is created every time the camera starts and stops. Not only that, but since the internal card format is not HFS or similar, a new clip is made every 4Gigs regardless. Those are called spanned clips (that' why sometimes you will see (SPanned) in the l&t window of FCP. Now, those spanned clips can be tied together through metadata which is how FCP does it. BUt if the clips are discreet (meaning the camera stopped then started) then there's no metadata to tie those clips together as the have separate Global Clip IDs and therefore different metadata.

The beauty of the different clips is that all the subclips are made for you.

What are you trying to do? Perhaps a rethink of your project organization is in order.

Return to posts index

Steve Heffner
on Feb 10, 2009 at 4:50:32 pm

Yeah, I'm familiar with the spanned clips and all that. I hear you on the metadata. That's why I was specifically asking if there was an override on the camera for start stop.
When I get the media, it's already ingested. Right now I string everything out on a timeline and scrub through and mark the media. But as you know, when you mark media on a timeline, those markers don't hold when you matchframe back (I'm NOT talking about sequence markers, I am talking about media markers - I select the media in the timeline to mark ON the media).
Basically, your media in the browser is not marked unless you open each baby clip in the viewer and mark it there.
I was hoping there was a way to have an entire span of media (a reel, so to speak) where I could scrub, mark, log and subclip from the main chunk and then just drag all of those sublcips to appropriate bins.
But I guess I have to make due with the clip based deal. This make sense or is there a different approach I can or should take? If I'm doing something butt backwards I'm open for suggestions.
Thanks for responding.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 10, 2009 at 6:58:45 pm

Nope this is simply impossible because each time you start stop recording it's not metadata, it's a new file. And trust me you don't want to fool an HVX200 into thinking it's a tape camera. Suppose something goes wrong with that one superlong clip- then you're hosed.

Instead, ingest all footage into FCP and simply drag every take from a card into one timeline. Nest and drag into viewer- voila a single clip just like a tape. You could always export a reel as a whole new clip and then you'd get what you wanted but that's a big waste of time. I'd stick with marking on a timeline.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 10, 2009 at 7:05:50 pm

[Steve Heffner] "That's why I was specifically asking if there was an override on the camera for start stop. "

it just doesn't work that way, sorry. Once you hit stop, you'd have to pause the audio, video and metadata creation and then start that back up once you hit start. Might ask for trouble on that one.

[Steve Heffner] "Basically, your media in the browser is not marked unless you open each baby clip in the viewer and mark it there. "

Correct, on the master clip is where the markers will show up.

[Steve Heffner] "I was hoping there was a way to have an entire span of media (a reel, so to speak) where I could scrub, mark, log and subclip from the main chunk and then just drag all of those sublcips to appropriate bins.
But I guess I have to make due with the clip based deal. This make sense or is there a different approach I can or should take? If I'm doing something butt backwards I'm open for suggestions. "

You can do this in metadata by scene/take number if you want or any number of organizational methods that you can employ using metadata. Unfortunately, FCP is not very good at keeping track of or realizing this metadata natively. I use a program called MXF4QT Import to help with this process:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/garchow_jeremy/dvc_pro_hd.php

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Steve Heffner
on Feb 10, 2009 at 7:46:27 pm

Jeremy and Noah: Thanks. This pretty much answers my questions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]