FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 logging for Vista

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Sutherland
P2 logging for Vista
on Feb 8, 2009 at 5:29:29 pm

I have a producer working on a project that runs Vista 32. The only P2 logging solution for Vista that I have found is Imagine Products TEP HD, are there any other options?

All editing will be done with FCP, if we spring for the software, will all the logging information transfer over to FCP? I was working under the assumption that P2CMS logging info would become part of the metadata, so when I imported into FCP all that would be come with the clip. Is that correct, and if so will the TEP HD info work the same way?

Thanks, we're hoping to get a lot of logging done this week so all helps and hints are appreciated.

John Sutherland
MDD G4 dual 1.25
1.12 gb ram
Atto UL3D
Huge 1.2TB Dual Max
FCP 6.0.4
OSX 10.4.11/QT 7.5.5

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: P2 logging for Vista
on Feb 8, 2009 at 8:19:19 pm

Panasonic has a free Metadata editor for windows caled P2 Content Management (or P2CMS).

No, the metadata will not transfer to FCP without third party applications such as MXF4QT Import:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/garchow_jeremy/dvc_pro_hd.php

Return to posts index

John Sutherland
on Feb 9, 2009 at 1:00:46 am

So if we're not logging on FCP, there is no way to utilize P2CMS to log and bring that info into FCP? If that's the case, what is P2CMS for?

John Sutherland
MDD G4 dual 1.25
1.12 gb ram
Atto UL3D
Huge 1.2TB Dual Max
FCP 6.0.4
OSX 10.4.11/QT 7.5.5

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 9, 2009 at 1:34:24 am

[John Sutherland] "So if we're not logging on FCP, there is no way to utilize P2CMS to log and bring that info into FCP? "

Not without a third party app.

[John Sutherland] "If that's the case, what is P2CMS for?"

Wrong question. The question you need to ask is why can't FCP handle P2 metadata natively? P2CMS works great, and does exactly what you need it to, it's FCP that has the shortcomings. Did you watch the tutorial I linked to? You might see a better way:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/garchow_jeremy/dvc_pro_hd.php

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Sutherland
on Feb 9, 2009 at 3:18:14 am

Yes, I watched the tutorial. It's the price of MXF4mac that is stopping me. Will Raylight offer similar features?

John Sutherland
MDD G4 dual 1.25
1.12 gb ram
Atto UL3D
Huge 1.2TB Dual Max
FCP 6.0.4
OSX 10.4.11/QT 7.5.5

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 9, 2009 at 3:38:06 pm

Isn't TEP HD about the same price?

Yes, MXF4mac seems to be pricey, but it's worth it.

[John Sutherland] "Will Raylight offer similar features?"

Raylight creates Quicktime reference movies of the P2 media and then embeds the metadata into a slate within that movie. It doesn't work quite like MXF4mac does where the medtadata gets passed to FCP columns which then become completely searchable.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Sutherland
on Feb 10, 2009 at 8:14:14 am

I agree, MXF4mac seems very complete, but at the current exchange rate it's about $515, almost half of FCP. Maybe in times of better cash flow but... seems steep. TEP HD starts at $300. I understand the argument that it will pay for itself in saved time or less confusion so it's still an option.

John Sutherland
MDD G4 dual 1.25
1.12 gb ram
Atto UL3D
Huge 1.2TB Dual Max
FCP 6.0.4
OSX 10.4.11/QT 7.5.5

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 10, 2009 at 4:15:00 pm

Well, I can't argue price with you too much as everyone has their own way and reasons for spending money the way they do. I will say that from a practicality level, TEP HD you would give to a producer that might use it a couple of times, but MXF4mac you would use everyday that you edit P2 material.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Sutherland
on Feb 11, 2009 at 10:34:44 am

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

John Sutherland
MDD G4 dual 1.25
1.12 gb ram
Atto UL3D
Huge 1.2TB Dual Max
FCP 6.0.4