FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow question

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim McNally
Workflow question
on Feb 7, 2009 at 7:06:17 pm

I'm getting up to speed on the P2 workflow. From what I've learned so far it seems that P2CMS is the preferred method of moving content from a card to a hard drive as it verifies the content transfer. A Mac finder move may cause problems with the data.

My question is about subsequent moves of the data files for duplicating on redundant drives. Can the Mac finder be used for those moves or is the verification procedure (or lack of) still an issue? Is there some other program that should be used for any data movement amongst drives?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Workflow question
on Feb 7, 2009 at 7:47:42 pm

I think the biggest issue is offoading from the card. After that the Finder move should be fine.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jim McNally
on Feb 10, 2009 at 1:56:58 am

I see in FCP's Log & Transfer window there is an "Archive to Folder" feature for renaming and moving cards to an HD. How does this feature stack up in offloading the data files and verifying?

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory
http://www.commercialfactory.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 10, 2009 at 1:58:43 am

That will copy just fine, but it will not verify the offload. ShotPut P2 dude...worth it.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 8, 2009 at 12:08:09 am

P2CMS works and works well, but there's a great program that moves data from p2 to hard drive and it's called Shotput Pro from Imagine Products. It really is great.

As far as copying from drive to drive once it's on the drive, the Finder should be fine.

You can use cloning software if you want to be hyper ultra anal about it, or setup a a RAID1 drive.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jim McNally
on Feb 8, 2009 at 1:13:29 am

Okay thanks guys for the info on this. The next question I have is with databasing the ingested footage.

Does the P2CMS program track everything that goes in and allow searching the metadata at some point in the future?

I have the program loaded and would think that is the intent of it but without any actual P2 data I can't check it out.

If that is the case is that a good way to database footage or are the Imagine Products better suited to that?

thanks,

Jim

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory

Return to posts index

Billy Morocco
on Feb 8, 2009 at 2:40:00 am

Jim,

I'm rather new to this forum (just catching up on HD), but I just spent two days as a "loader" on a shoot. I don't know what system you are using, but I went in with P2CMS, I am Definitely walking away with P2ShotPut Pro, and not looking back.

It is so much more intuitive than what P2CMS is doing. And yes, I have been able to copy to other redundant drives via Finder so far with no problems.

One word of advice: I initially had Kernel Panics with both programs. This often means RAM problem. And though the 4GB I have installed has worked well in other touchy RAM situations... This time it was the issue. I dropped down to the "basic" 2 GB. and everything is fine.

I still have a lot of questions. But thought I'd give my 2 cents on the import question.

Best,

Bill

Return to posts index

Jim McNally
on Feb 8, 2009 at 3:02:08 am

Bill thanks for your comment.

I'm running FCP on a PowerPC so my first dilemma was that P2CMS only runs on Intel machines and I would need another machine to ingest the footage. If I went with Shotput Pro, that runs as Universal, my problem would be solved.

This is what I am thinking of for my setup and would appreciate any comments on problems that you forsee.

If I use ShotPut Pro I would have it running on my G5 and use firewire to grab the P2 footage to a SATA 1TB internal drive in a USB adapter. This would become my primary backup and would be used until full and then replaced with another drive. As a backup to this I would also copy the footage to a Dlink network storage device configured to RAID 1.

With the original footage safely duplicated I would then export my selected clips to a working firewire drive used as my FCP capture drive.

Does Shotput Pro create database files of significant size that I need to take into account for storage as well?

Or are the database files actually the original footage that I plan to store on the SATA 1TB drive at the start of my planned workflow?

Or do I need another program to actually keep a database of the material? Maybe I hoping it works like P2CMS?

As I look at my rows of tapes on shelves I hope that this migration to P2 is worth the effort!! lol

thanks,

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 8, 2009 at 6:09:50 pm

[Jim McNally] "Does the P2CMS program track everything that goes in and allow searching the metadata at some point in the future? "

Yes, if you keep the database, but P2CMS is kind of a funky program. It does work, but it's user friendliless is not that great. If you figure it out, it is kind of cool. Spotlight on OSX is MXF aware and allows the searching of metadata right from the Finder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]