FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic HVX 200A shoot for NPO

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patricia Stitson
Panasonic HVX 200A shoot for NPO
on Feb 6, 2009 at 4:04:23 pm

Hey there,

I am doing a shoot for a NPO tomorrow and am a bit concerned about my workflow. I have partnered with someone who has two Panasonic HVX 200a's and am solely relying on his expertise with the cameras. I would like to better educate myself however since ultimately the end product(s) is(are) my responsibility. SO a few questions:

a. we have to shoot to HD tape because we do not have enough P2 cards/a set up to capture the 5 hour workshop. any tips? cautionary notes? problems that may arise in post?

b. hopefully this is a no brainer; all four channels of audio will record to the tapes?

c. what is the best way to monitor audio?

d. in your opinion what should we shoot at?

e. any other advice?

I fully appreciate any pointers you might offer. I am donating my time to produce this and this is the first shoot I have been a part of since my last work in NYC in 9/01 so my knowledge is slightly antiquated at this point.

Thanks

Patricia
Feel free to contact me direct at pstitson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Re: Panasonic HVX 200A shoot for NPO
on Feb 6, 2009 at 4:59:02 pm

[Patricia Stitson] "a. we have to shoot to HD tape because we do not have enough P2 cards/a set up to capture the 5 hour workshop. any tips? cautionary notes? problems that may arise in post?"

Which tape were you thinking about recording to? The tape in the HVX200 only records DV.

[Patricia Stitson] "b. hopefully this is a no brainer; all four channels of audio will record to the tapes?"

In the DV format you only have 2 channels on this camera. In HD, yes there are 4 channels and yes they would all be recorded on to the P2 cards.

There are P2 workflow overiew papers on our website at http://www.panaosnic.com/p2hd under resources that might address some of your other questions.

Best,

Jan

Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Patricia Stitson
on Feb 6, 2009 at 8:47:59 pm

To be clear then, we cannot shoot to HD DV tapes?

Thank you.

Patty

Return to posts index

on Feb 6, 2009 at 8:50:45 pm

That is correct. The DV tapes only record DV.

Best,

Jan

Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Patricia Stitson
on Feb 6, 2009 at 10:08:14 pm

Thanks Jan,

You kicked saved it for me. Would've been embarrassing to show up with no way to capture the footage. Made him test it and he had to agree. We're going P2 to laptop to external..

Big thanks.

Patty

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 6, 2009 at 10:26:18 pm

You can always rent a FIRESTORE...that will record for quite a while. That is a specific hard drive device that works with the P2 cameras.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Feb 9, 2009 at 9:22:40 pm

Patricia:

I've got to ask, what is an NPO?

Thanks,

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Feb 10, 2009 at 6:49:44 am

I'm assuming they mean Non Profit Organization.

There's a good reason Firestore went out of biz. They suck. No way to monitor that you are getting the footage to the drive, firewire connections that come loose while shooting, byzantine rituals needed to get started..

I'd try On Location from Adobe on a laptop, direct to drive. Use P2 for the B Roll on a second camera while the On Location setup captures your A camera. You won't be able to capture off the P2 while on location is rolling, so either be selective with your shots, or wait till after then get a bunch more.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Feb 10, 2009 at 7:03:14 am

Unfortunately the four-pin Firewire connection is fundamentally flawed in design. When the HVX-200 first came out, I did many hours of shooting with the camera ran into a Panasonic 1200 and 1400 DVCPro HD deck because at the time, all we had were 8GB cards and for two hour interviews, they weren't fun to juggle.

Thanks goodness they wised up and installed a locking six pin Firewire on the HPX170. Just beware, the four pin FW is a flimsy connection, even when brand new, if you jiggle the cable, you may lose your connection momentarily. Strain relief on the cable is a must and even then, I would be very careful. I would hate to pin an important shoot on that connector. I have done it and lost footage.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]