Giving film look to HD with filters

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john alexander
Giving film look to HD with filters
on Feb 5, 2009 at 1:46:50 pm

Hello

2 questions i have..

I will be shooting a green screen with a hvx 200 at 108025p. The shot will be a mid shot to wide shot of an actress talking to camera. I wanted to loose the HD crips look and give it more of a film look. would this be possible to get this effect by using HD soft 2 filter, which is supposed to soften the image? But if so would it cause a problem using this filter while making chroma key?

Also with the HD look. would a softer effect be gained from shooting with the minipro 35 and prime lenses. as there would be no need for depth of field would anything be gained (apart from loosing light). and also would it be ok to shoot a chroma key with the minipro 35 and prime lenses?

regards..

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Giving film look to HD with filters
on Feb 5, 2009 at 5:40:47 pm

I wouldn't bother with the 35- with a greenscreen you only have foreground so there's basically no depth of field to see. Instead you could easily composite with a defocused background image in post to create the illusion of shallow depth of field. The 'crisp HD look' that's something you could also easily fudge in post. By adding too much diffusion to your photography you risk making the image too soft and difficult to pull a good key. Better off shooting a nice, well lit clean image in production and adding the look in post.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

john alexander
on Feb 5, 2009 at 5:56:36 pm

Thanks for that!

Now they have changed and want to shoot with an all white back drop. would FX soft filters (half or 1) give a good effect here, as it not a chroma key. ie to soften the look?? or would you recommend in post?

thanks?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 5, 2009 at 6:21:37 pm

Well that's more of an aesthetic question now that it's not a key. It's very easy to soften a shot in post but pretty close to impossible to sharpen a soft shot. So I'd err on the side of caution if you're not sure.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Feb 6, 2009 at 4:19:27 pm

I'm with Noah... filters and post-processing today are pretty good at "optical" FX; starting with a sharp image gives you the option to glow and soften the edge of the face but keep the eyes sharp, etc.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 6, 2009 at 8:51:21 pm

Another thought is to stay with the green screen and simply add your white background in post. If you shoot on white and then have to do any color correction on the foreground, it will also affect the white background moving its color away from white. Shooting green screen gives you independent control of both the foreground and background.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]