FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200A vs. HPX170

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Salimes
HVX200A vs. HPX170
on Feb 4, 2009 at 9:24:25 pm

I'm having a really hard time deciding which camera to buy between these two. From what I understand, the 200a offers the same chipset and DSP as the 170. So, it's not a matter of image quality because it's the same.

I want to record in the highest possible image format which is 30p at 1080. A 16GB P2 card will give me about 16min. So my question is multi-part...Can I record at that highest possible format onto DV tape? Or is the image compressed at all to fit onto it (thereby making it pointless to shoot in that format in the first place)? But if I can shoot the same uncompressed, full 1080 image onto tape as I can P2, how many minutes will it yield?

And a final, all-encompassing question...I like the idea of being able to record to tape as a backup or for very long shoots which aren't ideal for small P2 cards (weddings, etc.) but do the feature improvements on the 170 make it worth going for it rather than the 200a?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: HVX200A vs. HPX170
on Feb 4, 2009 at 10:10:12 pm

[Jon Salimes] "So my question is multi-part...Can I record at that highest possible format onto DV tape?"

No...you can only record DV to DV tape. 720x480 DV.

[Jon Salimes] "Or is the image compressed at all to fit onto it (thereby making it pointless to shoot in that format in the first place)?"

Nope...that is just a regular old DV tape drive. FOr those who want to move into HD, but still have the need for DV. Or will move into HD slowly as they can afford P2 cards.

[Jon Salimes] "But if I can shoot the same uncompressed, full 1080 image onto tape as I can P2, how many minutes will it yield?"

OK...you need to know something. This camera does not shoot UNCOMPRESSED. It shoots a compressed form of HD called DVCPRO HD. It can only shoot that format onto the P2 cards. 720p or 1080i or 1080p. Or DV50 if you want higher quality SD than DV can deliver.

[Jon Salimes] "I like the idea of being able to record to tape as a backup or for very long shoots which aren't ideal for small P2 cards"

You cannot record to tape at the same time you shoot to P2. One or the other. And there are larger P2 cards out there...32GB and 64GB.

SO...do you need to still shoot DV? Then the 200A is your choice. Do you need HD SDI out? Full sized Firewire out? Do you like a camera that is 1.1 pounds lighter, and smaller...and don't have the need to shoot to tape? Then choose the HPX-170.

OR....Take a good hard look at the HMC-150 that shoots AVCHD to inexpensive SD cards. Talking hours here...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jon Salimes
Re: HVX200A vs. HPX170
on Feb 5, 2009 at 5:51:30 pm

That was a lot of help. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]