FORUMS: list search recent posts

24pn vs. p60 or even 24p with pulldown

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
24pn vs. p60 or even 24p with pulldown
on Feb 4, 2009 at 8:11:18 pm

Please, no one take this the wrong way but, what's the deal with 24 PN? I know that shooting at 24 P with the pull down in and p60 you get the same record times on P2 (about 17 minutes per 16 gig card on my HVX 200). But when shot at 24 PN you get extended record times due to a true 23.98 frame rate (about 42 minutes per 16 gig card).

My question is, everyone says shoot native 24 or 24PN! We shoot some test footage with a subject doing some jumping jacks and another subject just interview stye and when I'm comparing 24 PN and p60 footage, the p60 footage looks better. Everything is much smoother and crisper looking. Motion looks clean with no lagging. When shooting in 24 PN, all the footage looks like it has a delay to it. Its almost weird looking in a way. Why is that? And what makes 24 PN, the simulated film look, better? In my eyes, p60 footage is better looking than 24 PN.

What am I missing? Or when would I want to use one vs. the other? Or even to use Video CAM vs. Film CAM in the Scene File? Is Video used for all things but under and overcranking the camera, like in film mode?
Any thoughts?

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 24pn vs. p60 or even 24p with pulldown
on Feb 5, 2009 at 12:02:41 am

Sounds like you like the smoothness of 60p or 60i. 24p and specifically 24PN is the frame rate of film...so it will look more stuttery compared to 60 frames per second...absolutely.

[Matt Campbell] "And what makes 24 PN, the simulated film look, better?"

It isn't simulated...it IS the frame rate of film. Film is 24fps. 24PN is 24 real frames per second, not 24 frames in a 30 or 60 frame stream...24 actual frames per second. So it isn't simulated, it IS the film frame rate.

The camera shoots 81 different formats. You aren't limited by what people tell you. Shoot the format you want to shoot. Better yet, shoot the format that works best with the format you need to deliver. If you need to deliver a 1080p 23.98 master, then shooting 720p 24PN or 1080p24PA is a good choice. But if you need to deliver 1080p 29.97, then shoot 60p or 30p...or 60i if you want.

Don't be a sheep...think for yourself.

[Matt Campbell] "r when would I want to use one vs. the other?"

When your deliverable asks for it...or when you need longer record times on your cards.

[Matt Campbell] "Or even to use Video CAM vs. Film CAM in the Scene File?"

Again...when your deliverable asks for it. Or when you want a certain look. If you want video...shoot video. If you want film look...shoot film settings. Your only limitation is what you are required to deliver...and what the client dictates.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
Re: 24pn vs. p60 or even 24p with pulldown
on Feb 5, 2009 at 2:07:49 pm

Thanks Shane. Thats a huge help. Last question, I swear. I know these posts can just keep going and going and leading to more questions.

We're shooting some internal stuff for new business pitches. So no deliverables, but thanks for that info. It will come in handy for the near future. Basically we're shooting interview style stuff in offices, man on the street style interviews and city life (scenery stuff). What format would you recommend? We typically shoot all 720p so would you recommend 24 PN or p60? What is going to be the better choice for these situations? Or is that totally subjective to what I think looks better?

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]