FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems importing P2 files into Final Cut Pro 6.

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noah Schwartz
Problems importing P2 files into Final Cut Pro 6.
on Feb 4, 2009 at 12:57:16 am

Hi,

For the last two days I've been going crazy trying to get Final Cut Pro 6 to ingest my P2 footage. I shot the footage in 1080i 24p on my HVX200. I followed the directions from a couple of different videos on Creative Cow. I copied both the CONTENT folder as well as the .TXT file (both have locked icons on them) to a folder on my external drive. I then tried to bring that folder into Final Cut using the Log and Transfer window. Nothing happens, no error message, nothing, just back to the Log and Transfer window, no footage. I've been searching the forums to try to find anyone with the same problem but have had no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions or reasons why Final Cut wont except my footage?

Help... PLEASE.

Thanks,

Noah

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Problems importing P2 files into Final Cut Pro 6.
on Feb 4, 2009 at 2:50:01 am

What happens when you try directly from a P2 card- say via the camera.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Noah Schwartz
on Feb 4, 2009 at 6:47:16 am

I also tried directly from the camera and got the same thing.... nothing

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 4, 2009 at 8:09:45 am

Do you have FX Factory installed?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Schwartz
on Feb 4, 2009 at 4:56:23 pm

I do. is that the problem?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 4, 2009 at 7:04:08 pm

So you have FX Factory installed? Yes, that can be the issue. Unless you have the latest version, it interferes with P2 import.

http://lfhd.blogspot.com/2007/11/fcp-602-busted-p2-import-one-fix.html

Shane

Return to posts index

Simon Morice
on Feb 19, 2009 at 9:10:28 am

I too am having similar problems with P2 data. I tried the FX Factory install but that doesn't seem to have sorted things. It also won't allow you to uninstall - I am guessing until you've started the trrial or bought a license.

I spoke to Panasonic at the Broadcast Expo in London yesterday as well as to some Apple people.

I tried drag and drop from Finder to the top left FC window and got a dialogue box 'Please choose a translation document file' which when you hit OK opens a Finder box. But which file? I then had to force FCP to close as it got into a bit of a loop looking for the translation file.

I also can't find Panasonic P2 under the Import menu. My FCP is up to date as is Quicktime.

Tomorrow I am at a training seminar given by Larry Jordan. Guess what I'll be asking him???

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 19, 2009 at 9:22:40 am

[Simon Morice] "I tried drag and drop from Finder to the top left FC window and got a dialogue box 'Please choose a translation document file'"

Because you cannot import the MXF files directly into FCP without something like Raylight or MXF4QT...and then you need to use proper steps.

[Simon Morice] "I also can't find Panasonic P2 under the Import menu."

That option has changed names. It is now FILE>LOG AND TRANSFER. Because this interface now imports more than P2....AVCHD, AVCIntra, RED.

Tell Larry I said hi!

Shane

Return to posts index

Simon Morice
on Feb 19, 2009 at 11:28:18 pm

Thanks Shane and I'll pass on your greeting.

Still dumbfounded.

At the show today I was told by somebody from an Apple Solutions house that drag and drop works because FCP can work out what is needed - all part of the seven billion and eleventy three different ways Apple give us to do things. Although in this case it seems not to do anything more helpful than put FCP into a loop from which there is no graceful exit.

The message about the translation document (XML stuff?) apparently means that the codec was not properly installed. So I reninstalled it.

In fact I have reinstalled all the various P2 driver doodads I could find and have also removed the Sony SxS card driver which apparently cannot coexist (http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/193/874346) with P2 (funny that!).

After all of this Log and Transfer still fails to work.

From all the vids I have seen import should be a very simple process yet something is preventing it.

Log and Transfer continues to work fine with XDCAM yet nothing is visible for P2 data.

I thought it might be good to reinstall Quicktime (not from update but from a full download so I can roll it back if needs be) and to top off my tale of woe, from my current location in London the Apple site keeps timing out. London isn't the same since Boris became mayor.

I am soooooo relaxed about this!

Is there a set of instructions which describe the precise requirements for what should be there and what must be removed?

There must be some conflict somewhere to give me this degree of clusterlovliness.

Regards

S

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 20, 2009 at 12:13:06 am

[Simon Morice] "I was told by somebody from an Apple Solutions house that drag and drop works because FCP can work out what is needed -"

Did you tell them this was P2 footage and not QUICKTIME? Anyway, even if it WAS Quicktime, that doesn't mean it will work. That is someone who CLEARLY doesn't know what they are talking about.

Try to remove then reinstall FCP...and upgrade to latest version.

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/fcs_remover.htm

Shane

Return to posts index

Simon Morice
on Feb 20, 2009 at 12:39:06 am

This is P2 footage copied straight from the card to an external HD not Quuicktime. There is a Contents folder with all the data in as well as a lastclip.txt file in the card folder. It plays fine in the P2 equivalent of a clip browser.

I'm now quite depressed at the thought of an entire reinstall. Everything else in Final Cut is at the latest version and is working perfectly. P2 is the only thing that won't work.

Judging by the posts to this site there do seem to be a number of people having issues with P2.

Return to posts index

Simon Morice
on Feb 22, 2009 at 12:36:07 am

Well now, the problem has just gone away.

I could not import yesterday in London despite having Larry J hovering over a beer after his seminar. Someone else at the seminar connected up my LaCie and ingested without a problem. We both have Intel MacBook Pros. My machine continued not to cooperate.

Got back to Southampton prepared to pull the house's foundations up with my teeth if neccessary. As soon as I connected up my RAID FCP inhaled the P2 data without a murmur. At least that will be good for the dental bills.

I am pleased but perplexed. When I have time I'll see if I can recreate the problem.

Thanks for all your help.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Apr 10, 2009 at 9:29:03 am

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem. And I tried everything, erasing the preferences and plists of FCP. Then I heard it's a problem with the early versions of FX Factory Plug ins, but also uninstalling those did not help. The only solution to this strange bug is to completely reinstall your whole system. To avoid that, I logged and captured all the material on a friend's Mac, where it just worked fine and then took the material back on my HD. Sucks, but seemed to be the only solution, when you want to avoid the hustle of rebooting your whole system.
Greetz.

Return to posts index

Chris Struckman
on Apr 7, 2010 at 8:44:09 pm

Hey let me know if you have yet to find a solution. I deleted fx factory and deleted the plists. I still cant get log and transfer to work. The files wont drag and drop, nothing happens. This started after a fcp software update. -thanks

Return to posts index

Marcelo Blois
on Aug 23, 2010 at 11:57:36 pm

hi guys
i ve been having problems with my FCP 6 and a P2 camera.
i can actually log and transfer files downloaded onto any other mac or pc but my FCP 6 and/or my mac can't seem to read the camera, that means i can never use my computer to download my own footage which is very frustrating!
does anyone ha a clue about what to be done?
help me out pls!?!?!?!?!?
cheers

Return to posts index

Marcelo Blois
on Aug 26, 2010 at 11:26:34 pm

hi guys
i ve been having problems with my FCP 6 and a P2 camera.
i can actually log and transfer files downloaded onto any other mac or pc but my FCP 6 and/or my mac can't seem to read the camera, that means i can never use my computer to download my own footage which is very frustrating!
does anyone ha a clue about what to be done?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 26, 2010 at 11:38:07 pm

Do you have the P2 drivers installed? If not, your computer will not see the P2 card when it is connected.

http://www.panasonic.com/p2

Shane

Return to posts index

Marcelo Blois
on Aug 30, 2010 at 12:10:53 pm

hy shane

i dont know if i have the right drivers....i ve actually been looking for this drivers for ages

AVCIntraDecoder_v1.3.pkg
P2DriveFamilyDriver Install.dmg
P2Formatter.dmg

thats what i have installed in my computer
the first one (AVCIntraDecoder_v1.3.pkg) came from the panasonic website, and the other two ones from any ramdom website.

the funny thing is i can log and transfer to my FCP 6.0.6 from any hard drive as long as the P2 file structure remains untouched but my computer doesn't recognize the camera when i connect it to my laptop nor FCP reads it.
i would like to be able to ingest directly from the camera to my computer and not use a "PC" to help me out!!!! what s the point of having a state of the art mac when i need a pc to do the most basic thing

help me out pls?!?!!??!?!!?!?!?!!?!!??!?!

marcelo

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 30, 2010 at 8:12:19 pm

Ingesting direct from the camera is a BAD habit to get into. You need to backup the files first. Importing then erasing the cards...is that what you do? So you don't keep the card originals? Why not? Do you capture from tape then rewind and record over the tape?

That is odd that FCP won't capture from the card direct...but wil if you back it up. Never heard of this issue. I think FCP is telling you "dude, you need to back this up first. I won't capture direct from the tape..."

Shane

Return to posts index

Marcelo Blois
on Aug 30, 2010 at 11:19:47 pm

tks for replying
listen, i dont know if we are speaking the same language......when i use mini DV tape systems i always keep the original tapes as they are affordable! but using Panasonic P2 cards is something else! i cant afford having one card for each project and also the camera is not mine, i am a student and the camera and cards belong to my college. Having said that the way i iam doing now is: i use my colleges lap top (a PC), i insert the P2 card into the PCMCIA slot which is the same as a P2 card and copy the whole file structure across to my external hard drive, with the files saved onto my hard drive i go back to my mac and log and transfer them all to FCP! My FCP 6.0.6 understands the files when they come from my hard drive and i can smoothly log and transfer but my mac doesn't seem to recognize the camera! all i want to do is copy the files across to my hard drive and using my mac instead of the pc, and then with the files backed up log and transfer them.........but my machine cant do it! why???? also, my college's macs don't recognize the camera as well! theses macs are the latest ones, they ve been recently purchased, at the college we have FCP 7.0.2 and the same thing is happening!
pls!!!!!!! i dont want to use another PC just to copy the files across as the PCs we have there are too slow!!

pls help me out, i am so frustrated!!!
its been a nightmare because every week we have to deal with this problem
looking forward to hearing from you again

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 30, 2010 at 11:24:00 pm

Sounds like you don't have the drivers for the P2 cards installed on your system. You need the drivers for the Mac to recognize the P2 cards format.

http://www.panasonic.com/p2 DRIVERS AND SOFTWARE section.

I know ALL ABOUT the P2 workflow...I was one of the first people to deal with it. I know P2 is expensive, and I preach backing up to drives. Click on my head up top and you will find TWO tutorials on how to deal with P2 footage. I'm a leader in this forum for a reason...I know what to do.

Shane

Return to posts index

Marcelo Blois
on Aug 30, 2010 at 11:55:03 pm

tks again mate
i did try some drivers but not sure if they are the right ones
follows bellow the driver i have installed

AVCIntraDecoder_v1.3.pkg (from Panasonic web site)

P2DriveFamilyDriver Install.dmg
P2Formatter.dmg

an important information about it is that i looked for driver for my snow leopard OSX 10.6.4 which is my version

good that you are the expert that means i feel that we are going to fix this, but still dont know what to do

lets keep trying pls

cheers
marcelo

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 30, 2010 at 11:57:49 pm

You need the "P2 DRIVER for PC/MAC" Found here:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/p2-hd/downloads-and-updates.asp

Shane

Return to posts index

Marcelo Blois
on Aug 31, 2010 at 1:10:46 am

hi shane
thats what i did actually
i got the drivers from this website
i ll try again and give u some feedback

tks fro helping

cheers
marcelo

Return to posts index

Marcelo Blois
on Sep 14, 2010 at 3:28:37 am

hi shane
here i am again
tks for all your support...
i ve managed to make my computer read the Panasonic P2 cameras! the problem was what buttons to press on the camera!! press and hold the playback button on the back of the camera to activate usb mode!
anyway...all good now BUT...
The problem i am having now is when i log and transfer the files into FCP they come as slow motion!!!
i ve been told that the P2 cameras record 50 fps anyway and when the files are transfered to FCP not all the frames are "imported" in other words every second frame is not imported so FCP can play back the files in normal speed. but i havent been able to get around this issue!
can u help me again? do i have to change any settings before i transfer the files? do i have to change any sequence settings? give me the light again pls
i am 100% sure that on the camera the settings are 25 fps! 100% sure, so how do i transfer to FCP and get normal speed within FCP

looking forward to hearing from you

marcelo blois

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 14, 2010 at 3:57:59 am

[Marcelo Blois] "The problem i am having now is when i log and transfer the files into FCP they come as slow motion!!!"

Play the footage in the camera...is it slow motion? Because there is a specific setting in the camera that if you shoot 720p50, but at 25fps...records AS slow motion. So play the footage back and see if the footage is slow motion. If not, then in the P2 Import window...in the P2 Browser, there is a little sprocket drop down menu. Click on that and choose PREFERENCES. Uncheck REMOVE PULLDOWN and then try importing again.

If you shoot 720p...then the camera shoots 50fps. If you shoot 720p25, then it is still 50fps, but every frame repeats. if you shoot 720p 25pN...then the camera shoots 25fps. If, however, you shoot 1080i50, then it shoots 25fps. 1080p25...25fps.

[Marcelo Blois] "i ve been told that the P2 cameras record 50 fps anyway and when the files are transfered to FCP not all the frames are "imported" in other words every second frame is not imported so FCP can play back the files in normal speed."

[Marcelo Blois] "do i have to change any settings before i transfer the files? "

No. FCP imports DVCPRO HD in the format you shot it. It doesn't convert it.

[Marcelo Blois] "i am 100% sure that on the camera the settings are 25 fps! "

That only happens if you shoot 1080... or 720PN.

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]