FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX 170 Greenscreen footage - WANTED

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elijah Lynn
HPX 170 Greenscreen footage - WANTED
on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:30:36 pm

Hi,

I am considering purchasing the HPX 170 for Run and Gun, Interviews and Greenscreen shoots.

My main concern is the greenscreen.

Can someone who considers keying HPX 170 footage easy and well done post some raw samples of their footage so I can examine the footage?

I have heard good things about uncompressed out from an EX1 as well. I am not against the EX1 but I just wanted a camera that had a built in waveform and vectorscope.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
Re: HPX 170 Greenscreen footage - WANTED
on Jan 28, 2009 at 5:50:13 am

The HPX is the 200 without the dvtape recorder.. I have done green screen with my 200 using 1080p..
Very nice chroma keys.. If I can find the You Tube address from last Novembers political spot, I will post it.

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Jan 28, 2009 at 1:59:10 pm

Hi Nate,

You wouldn't happen to have any of the raw footage from any of your shoots would you? Just a few seconds worth would be very helpful in my comparison with the EX1.

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 28, 2009 at 3:14:21 pm

Not all greenscreen footage is created equal. It's all in the lighting.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Jan 28, 2009 at 4:35:19 pm

I agree fully.

I have had problems keying XL2 footage because there is what I call "right edge smudge" or "pixel shifting", I don't know the exact name for it but it is unacceptable to key with. I recently saw one persons story and pictures of the exact same issue with his HVX 200 and really just wanted to see some samples of the HPX 170 for myself.

Originally I wanted to get a HMC 150 with a AJA Io HD for the same price but am unsure if that will work either without seeing some footage for myself. Even if it is poorly lit I can see the edge smudge that I am looking for, it is very very obvious.

So, I am still looking for real samples. Lighting can be perfect but if the camera makes up pixels out of think air then there are going to be problems.

I have read so many good things about the EX1 keying it's native footage and even 1 report of EX1 uncompressed with a Io HD just being "nothing short of amazing".

Just trying to make the best choice here and would love to see some samples in full HD.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jan 28, 2009 at 4:02:04 pm

I don't have the raw footage anymore, but I can mention that I have done a lot of Chroma Key work over the years using our old Sony M7 (turn on all the lights) and our Sony Dxc35wsl both using a switcher with chroma key (Prodigy) and the with Final Cut Pro and VeeScope. I was very happy with the results from our HVX200 using 1080. 1080 gives you SO much more resolution to play with and the lens on the HVX200 is so wide, I was able to do the 'dutch title' and get toes to head shot in a space less than 20 feet long.. It is now not the camera for us, but consistent balanced lighting that makes the difference.

Don't forget that the HVX200 is DVCpro HD with interframe recording and the Sony is the long gop mpeg. I have no experience chroma keying mpeg, but I would expect more difficulties from the format.
If that is the Sony with the CMOS chip, I would just leave it at the store for a bunch of other reason too.

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Jan 28, 2009 at 4:43:45 pm

Hi Nate,

You mean the HPX is "Intraframe", right.

Bummer you don't have any of the footage. I looked into Veescope and thought it was interesting. It looks too good to be true, realtime key on a computer? Is it really a high performance keyer or is it more meant for live productions on a budget?

I have been using Primatte Keyer Pro and it works well even on bad "right edge smudge" XL2 footage but I really do not want edge smudge any more.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jan 28, 2009 at 6:25:35 pm

Your smudge is what I call 'crust'

Veescope is a great setup assistant. It is real time on the lap top. I use it to tweak the shot, show the talent the details etc. VeesScope has had about 3 major free upgrades lately that I have yet to check out.

You will not be happy till you try the cameras, so build yourself a green screen stage in a garage or a spare bedroom and go rent them over a weekend,, then play for the best scenario and the worst scenario. The HVX200 is not Hollywood 4k keys, but it is better than any key that I have been able to do with the Sony 35wsl at 3 times it cost.

Return to posts index

Tom Chartrand
on Jan 29, 2009 at 2:15:16 pm

You would have to do a side-by-side to truly see results you're looking for. I've done Chroma-Key with the HVX200 and HPX500 in 720 using the DV Matte ro plugin for FCP and the Primatte plugin and they're both great. Even better when shot in 1080.

Intra-frame recording really can give you an "edge" in trying to cut a clean key.

But for my money, you'd have to put the caneras next to each other and shoot the same thing because lighting relly is everything.

Tom

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Jan 29, 2009 at 9:09:02 pm

Btw, I like the term Crust.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jan 29, 2009 at 9:28:56 pm

Thanks,,

Should I get it copyrighted ????