FORUMS: list search recent posts

Equipment overkill (hvx200, Fs-100, and bears, oh my!)

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Billy Morocco
Equipment overkill (hvx200, Fs-100, and bears, oh my!)
on Jan 25, 2009 at 12:15:03 am

Hi all,
Long time reader, first-time poster. For years I've been using FCP at what can best be described as "hobbyist" level. I'm talking about SD, for the web or friends and family.

It often seemed silly that I kept my system up to date with the latest software (now on FCS 2), but I could never go back to express.

My day job is in legal materials support. A year ago I shot a web video showing off some new conference rooms. Again, this was SD. But at the time I explained to my boss what a strong HD system would consist of. I also have a colleague who has been a DP in Film and video.

He recently took a shopping spree through B&H. Bought two HVX200s 2 Firestore Fs-100s, and a pretty well stocked Mac Pro., and now I am tasked with learning the gear. Basically, I am coming from the editing side. So being able to explain what to shoot is a priority.

I've learned a lot about the FS-100 (firmware 3), and will be going back to get some P2 cards, for safety.

Here's my main question (for now!):
My boss has played around with the camera, shooting some concert footage in 1080i 24p around the city.
However: the main export goals will probably be WEB, and straight to DVD for projection. So my question is: Is 1080i24p necessary?

Especially with the Quicktime and Quicktime PN options on the FS-100, wouldn't these smaller projects be better served just using 720p?

Again, I am coming from the SD (480) world, so this is all new to me. But I'm diligently reading here. And I get the impression that (not handing anything to a Network or studio [YET!]), there's no need to be shooting that high.

As a follow-up: As I always kept my system up-to date, I have read a lot about p2 importing. But this FS-100 is odd. And I understand that the "Quicktime" and "Quicktime PN" options, which would speed-up importing, are only for 720 res. Anyone using these wrappers?

Thanks in advance. Creative Cow has been my resource for years. I've only been in the city 6 months, but I've already been handed these cams and been on a RED ONE shoot (my Macbook Pro got me the gig - for emptying the cards; but I ended up as boom operator). So of course, I hope to become a regular.

Billy M

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Equipment overkill (hvx200, Fs-100, and bears, oh my!)
on Jan 26, 2009 at 2:12:23 am

The Firestore- not a big fan but the latest version does support 720pN- check with Focus on how to set it up properly. P2 cards are much simpler/less problems- though of course you'll likely hear from Firestore owners who are happy. I'm bigger on P2 because it just works out of the box.

As far as 720pN for Web videos- yes it's a great format for web videos which will look great downconverted and you'll have access to all high speed and slow speed frame rates too.

-Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Billy Morocco
on Jan 26, 2009 at 3:33:20 am

Noah,
Thanks for the post. I had a chance to do some test shots today (boss didn't give me the HVX battery, so needed daylight). And I think that that 720pN will be where I'll stay for a while.

i also got a chance to read all through last year on this thread. Helpful, but my head still starts swimming with all the different formats. My nervousness might be due to the fact that I've always known more about this stuff than those around me (thanks to many a support forum). And now, in the HD, world, I'm playing catch-up.

Perhaps this is the best framing of where my worries are (please don't feel obligated to respond. Now that I have a starting point, I can start working in FCP more):

With my prosumer SD. I could do this:
1. Shoot footage.
2. Import. Edit. Export as QT.
3. Compressor for Web/ DVDSP for DVD.
Done.

the term "downconvert" is totally new. As are terms like "remove pulldown." But I guess I wouldn't need to do these things as long as all my footage is the same. I'd like to see the simplest version of steps for HD work. It doesn't seem like I have to do anything special just going from 720p24n into FCP.

You know, I almost wish that I was still on FCP 5 (maybe), because then it would be much more obvious when one is mixing frame-rates and resolutions. All the formats I shot today went together with relative ease. All I could really distinguish is the "stickiness" of NON-Native 24 (which I think is due to a pull-down issue).

But again, I'm not on anyone's clock. So thanks for your response, and for making me feel welcomed. I'm sure I'll be able to frame better questions once I am knee deep in FCP or DVDSP.

Best,

Bill

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Jan 27, 2009 at 1:35:44 am

Bill,

I already answered this for you in the Firestore forum, but the FS-100 indeed can do 1080i in the Quicktime mode (though NOT The Quicktime Pn mode). The main thing you need to know is that the FS-100 only shoots one format per session, in other words you can't mix formats on the same shoot. From a lot of your other posts in the FireStore forum it is also very obvious you didn't read the manual. It is a very short read, and I recommend it, as all of your questions would have been addressed there.

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.3, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Billy Morocco
on Jan 27, 2009 at 3:06:22 am

Thanks again, Christopher.
You are correct. My poring over these forums over the weekend was due to my not having access to the manual. But I opened the other Firestore today, and got the manual. I am still indebted to you all for your help.

Best,

Billy M

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Jan 27, 2009 at 5:49:32 am

Good luck with your new HD workflow path...
I think you will find it very difficult to work the "old standard def" way again!

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.3, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Tom Chartrand
on Jan 29, 2009 at 2:19:16 pm

Bill,

Just consider downconvert part of your "Export as Quicktime". You can take your 720 timeline and "downconvert" to 480x270 or 320x180, whatever your end requirement is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]