P2 quicktime file names

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joan Solsona
P2 quicktime file names
on Jan 23, 2009 at 10:07:43 pm

Hi there!!
It's my first post here, love the site.

I work a lot with material recorded with p2 cameras, and it usually is A LOT of material, and loads of files.

So I wonder if there's any way to get rid of the painful filenames like "0014K5" and to log each one with the same name, just like "log and capture" does with every new clip: "CAPTURE01, CAPTURE02, CAPTURE03 etc..."

I know you can do it manually in the "log and transfer" window but when you're dealing with more than 500 files it's something you just don't want to do... so, there's a way to do it automatically?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Joan.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: P2 quicktime file names
on Jan 24, 2009 at 3:21:12 am

Hello, Joan. Sounds like an adventure into metadata will set you straight. You can prepare metadata before you shoot (or even change it afterwards) using free tools from Panasonic. For more info on that, take a look here which explains the process to load metadata to your P2 camera:

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/Drivers/PBTS/papers/P2HDMetadata.pdf

After you have a handle on that, check out this tutorial that I created for Cows at large. It highlights a DVCPro HD workflow that involves the use of metadata and native P2 media (no log and transfer, no rewrapping to Quicktime) that might answer some of your questions and fulfill your curious needs. Does it cost money? Yes, it does. But it will save you loads of time, and as the old adage goes, time is money:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/garchow_jeremy/dvc_pro_hd.php

Questions? You know where to find us.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joan Solsona
on Jan 24, 2009 at 2:26:57 pm

Thanks Jeremy, I'll check out the tutorial and the links as soon as i can.

Anyway, there is no way to change the names in FCP, right?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 24, 2009 at 6:23:42 pm

YOu can manually change them. Copy the part of the text you want to remain the same, then paste it on the next name, and then add a number. Like HARBOR_01, HARBOR_02, HARBOR_03, HARBOR_04.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 24, 2009 at 8:16:14 pm

Like Shane says, it's possible, but it's a lot of copying and pasting. It's enough to induce carpal tunnel aches and you can't change them all at once.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Jan 30, 2009 at 10:09:29 pm

I DID notice one thing today in L&T that could at least make such a task a little easier. I discovered that if I name a clip for example "capture" and send it to FCP, then load the next clip, as soon as I hit the "c" key, the rest of the word comes up automatically. If I send that over to FCP without adding a number after "capture", FCP adds it automatically, and continues to do so sequentially. So in a sense the OS and FCP at least give you a hand. The only thing to check is what name is assigned to the actual new quicktime file. I'm not at my mac so I can't check. Hope this helps.

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP Studio 2 (6.02), OS X10.4.11

Return to posts index

Joan Solsona
on Jan 31, 2009 at 11:22:09 am

Thanks Kim, I'll check it ASAP,it seems that you found the way to do it!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]