FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX170 users out there/going from dvcam to hd

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim stamos
HPX170 users out there/going from dvcam to hd
on Jan 22, 2009 at 12:25:33 am

not too sold on ex1/3 ,quality wise theyre excellant, but for handheld which we are going to do alot of , theyre useless.
what are your thougths on the hpx170? ive been shooting on a dsr300 which has 1/2 inchps so lowlight is very good. how will 170 compare, since it has 1/3 inch
anyone compared?
overall opinions on 170.
seems to be a good camera.
thanks

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
Re: HPX170 users out there/going from dvcam to hd
on Jan 22, 2009 at 2:34:36 am

Jim:

You might find this review article helpful http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hpx_170_evolution_brockett.html

I shoot with the EX1 and the HPX170 quite a bit and they are fairly close in low light capability. The 170 in general is pretty good, I rate it at ISO 500 at 24fps with a 180d shutter. The HVX200 was about ISO 320 at the same settings.

My advice to anyone looking to spend $5k or more on a camcorder is to rent one for a day and try it out. I think it is insane to spend that much money or more with hands on shooting in a real location, not a dealer's showroom.

Best,

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 22, 2009 at 3:59:42 am

I can give you some advise. I switched from the DSR-300 to the HPX-500. I also have the HPX-170. If you are used to a shoulder mount camera, you want the HPX-500. If it's not in your budget or you don't feel you will get your investment returned, the HPX 170 is an excellent alternative. You will need a support for the camera. DVTEC makes an excellent support. As far as quality, it's not going to be apples to apples. HPX-170 is very good in low light with an excellent dynamic range. You will need a lot more light compared to the DSR-300.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Jan 22, 2009 at 6:23:38 pm

Thanks Steve:

I have never shot with the DSR300 but I have shot with the 570 a lot and I told Jim the same thing. Going from a shoulder mount professional cam that cost $12k back in the day to a prosumer camcorder that costs $5k is going to entail some loss of professional feel, features and low light capability.

I use the 170 daily for professional work that airs as well as for lots of DVD documentary material while I love it and it is a great camcorder, the HPX500, with the its form factor and 2/3" CCDs seems to be a more logical move from one coming from a DSR300. Or get a Sony F350 or 355, that is also a nice camcorder.

I went the other way years ago, I owned the BVWD600 and sold it off and bought the DVX100A. A big step down in some ways but it made much more sense financially as Beta SP died out. And I have to say, I have made some great programming with the DVX100A that I am very proud of.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]