FORUMS: list search recent posts

Possible to edit on FCP with a Macbook(not pro) with Panasonic P2?!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jo Jo Lam
Possible to edit on FCP with a Macbook(not pro) with Panasonic P2?!
on Jan 18, 2009 at 1:45:23 pm

Hi All,

Ive been considering purchasing a panasonic p2 recently and am just wondering if it would be possible to edit my footages on a macbook instead of a macbook pro with fcp (updated)? Cuz if not i might have to re-consider that..

Thanks,

Jo

Return to posts index

George Burbano
Re: Possible to edit on FCP with a Macbook(not pro) with Panasonic P2?!
on Jan 18, 2009 at 2:23:54 pm

Im using a 17" Powerbook (G4) with OSX.4.11 FCS 5.1.4. I shoot with an HVX 200 on P2 Media in DVCPRO-HD 720P 24N mode, and edit with no problem whatsover. A couple of pieces of advise though. 5.14 uses import-p2 which I believe changed in 6.0 I dont want to change just yet, but I do rough field edits on my powerbook. If you need anything more than that, you should do it on a desktop rather than a powerbook. You should have the max memory 2.0gb and use an external drive. I prefer the G-Raid drives. The good thing is that unless you are going to do any serious effects etc.. you can do it on a powerbook with no problem. Anything serious though, takes time. I have tested similar footage with special effects on both a macbook pro, and my powerbook, in similar configurations and the macbook pro is slightly faster on some realtime effects. But that was just playing around... So any serious stuff should be done probably on a desktop.

Also make sure that the P2 Drivers are installed before connecting the camera or loading a P2 card in the PCMCIA bus. Both drivers must be installed first, the ones for the P2 Cards, and the ones for the camera and the 60gb drive, if you might use one.. The cards mount on a desktop like a drive, so you have to unmount it like a drive. (drag to trash can)

good luck

George

ps. the pre-intel macbooks are Powerbooks and the ones with the intel chips are called macbook pros..

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Possible to edit on FCP with a Macbook(not pro) with Panasonic P2?!
on Jan 19, 2009 at 1:56:49 am

I'd get a MacBook Pro. The standard MacBook's graphics card is way underpowered- for example Motion won't even start on most configurations. It's meant for emailing, web, music and photography not Final Cut Studio.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]