FORUMS: list search recent posts

Our first P2 show for a major network

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Mann
Our first P2 show for a major network
on Jan 13, 2009 at 10:10:38 pm

Hello all -

We are working on a show for a large network that has recently approved delivery of tapeless sources (P2, SxS, etc...) This show has been shot primarily on a Varicam, but a few remaining scenes will be shot with an HPX-170. (So DVCProHD 24p/60 on P2 cards)

We edit with Final Cut Pro on MacPro towers.

Here's the question: The network requires that we deliver the "card images" on a drive, and that an EDL of the show be compatible with both the card image names and with the original clip names.

I had assumed that we would shoot the P2 footage and import it to FCP using Log & Transfer. But do we really have to stick with shot names like "004HQX.mov" throughout our edit? Is there a way to use manageable names for the files while still delivering to the network's specifications? When we did a test import, the new clip in FCP didn't retain the old file name as metadata. (Or at least, I couldn't find it.)

So. You're in our shoes. You read the document from the network (I'm pasting it below.) What would YOU do before you shoot (and in post) to make the workflow as smooth as possible.

Delivery Format

File based footage must be delivered on FAT32 formatted external Firewire/USB hard drives. Each drive shall be formatted as a single FAT32 volume. Drive capacity shall be between 250 gigabytes and one terabyte, based on the amount of storage required. Drives must be delivered to Discovery in shock resistant protective casing. Any external power supplies, transformers, or cables must be included in the drive case.

Delivery Structure

Data shall be organized on the drive using the following Discovery defined structure. A unique identifying name must be created for each card image. A card image is defined as each unique instance of use for a single P2 or SxS card. This unique identifying name serves as the “reel” identifier, and must match the source identifier used in the nonlinear editing system. An EDL created from the final sequence for the program must be able to be matched back to the card images provided. A directory must be created using the unique identifying name as the directory name for each card image included on the drive. All contents of the P2 or SxS card must be transferred into this directory, maintaining the folder structure as it was originally recorded by the camera. Directories may not span across multiple drives.

User-Generated Metadata

In addition to the media and full contents of each card, every card image directory must contain a footage log, adhering to the XXX footage log template (example below).

Camera Master Log
Unique Identifying Name:

Program Title:
Episode:
DCI Network:
DCI Executive Producer:
Production Company:

Video Standard and Format:
Audio/Format:
Aspect Ratio:
Commission or Coproduction?

Note: Please provide detailed shot descriptions, including species and names where applicable. Log new time code as scene/location/
action changes

CLIP ID Time Code In Time Code Out Description
DGVN8S 01:00:01:00 01:00:17:00 MWS,MS,CU of wall texture

--
Jason Mann
Compass Light, Inc.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Our first P2 show for a major network
on Jan 14, 2009 at 12:08:34 am

Well, I know what I'd do, but I consult for companies in this exact capacity...how to manage P2 and deal with network deliverables. So if you don't find the information you need, I am available as a consultant for you. And I am well versed in Discovery Channel deliverables.

Pardon me for pimping my services.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 14, 2009 at 2:15:54 am

Yeah I'm with Shane- that's one of those hire a post-production supervisor or at least a consultant to get it right. Because you don't want to take just advice from a forum when it's a network deliverable situation- they are not too cool about mistakes.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Bjoern Adamski
on Jan 14, 2009 at 11:24:26 pm

that an EDL of the show be compatible with both the card image names and with the original clip names

This would probably require native P2 MXF editing.

---------------------
Product Manager
MXF4mac
http://mxf4mac.com

Return to posts index

Jason Mann
on Jan 15, 2009 at 2:53:38 pm

Thanks for the replies, all.

--
Jason Mann
Compass Light, Inc.