FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export MXF files best quality

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Smith
Export MXF files best quality
on Jan 10, 2009 at 2:47:05 am

This has probably been answered before but I'm so ignorant to the terminology I have been unable to figure it out.

I use a Panasonic HVX-200. Generally, I shoot in 72030p(n). That allows around 2 1/4 hours of footage or 64 GB (two 32 GB P2 cards).

My question is what is the file format and bit rate that I would export this footage as without reducing quality?

I think that's a loaded question. Because I've seen how "uncompressed" exporting results in huge files that are very difficult to play. But I'm looking -- in layman's terms -- to keep it as is, but in a playable format like MPEG or AVI.

Let's say you were handing this footage over to someone to edit (a public torrent of a concert in my case) and optimal quality was important. What specs or path do I need to follow to not re-encode or disturb the purity of this footage?

I use EDIUS Procoder. I usually "print" in generic MPEG files with around 10000kbps bit rate. Of course, it's hard to tell a difference in quality with that bit rate or around 6000kbps playing back on PC, but I'd like to understand what I'm dealing with instead of going along blindly.

Thanks if you can unscramble what I'm trying to ask. I can try to help clarify if needed.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Export MXF files best quality
on Jan 10, 2009 at 3:14:22 am

Playable where- on a desktop, out to video tape or on the web?

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Samuel Smith
on Jan 10, 2009 at 5:26:47 am

Desktop, I believe.

So that it could be downloaded and edited by other users at optimum quality.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 10, 2009 at 6:39:20 pm

[Samuel Smith] "So that it could be downloaded and edited by other users at optimum quality."

I'd keep it in Panasonic's DVCPro HD MXF format, that way the footage can be transalted between pretty much nay NLE and you won't have to worry about recompression or format wars. Doesn't Edius do this (Print to p2)? If not you will need a third party app to print back to mxf, so to speak. I don't know how to do it on a pc.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Samuel Smith
on Jan 11, 2009 at 2:07:25 am

Yes, Edius has that. I thought it was only for exporting to a P2 card, but I see that it can save on your PC. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2009 at 4:53:29 am

Cool, no worries.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]