FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 media over FTP

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Brubacher
P2 media over FTP
on Jan 9, 2009 at 2:45:51 am

I am not an "IT guy" but has anyone had any success moving P2 data files to and from an FTP site? Seams like a better way than shipping hard drives. How fast of a connection would you need?
Thanks
Paul

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
Re: P2 media over FTP
on Jan 9, 2009 at 7:56:42 am

I have tried it - works OK. Only problem was that people using avid could not find out how to import it when it was not on a P2 card. If you want to transfer a lot of raw material it would take a heavy duty connection to work. I use it from time to time for small clips and finised material (selling clips) but also for quicktime movies and MP4's.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 9, 2009 at 6:02:00 pm

Yeah that's a ton of data to be moving across the net. If you've got dual fiber or maybe 10 minutes worth of footage I could see it but otherwise I'd just FedEx hard drives.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Lars Wikstrom
on Jan 11, 2009 at 4:17:14 pm

I just did that last month. I had my Laptop in Sweden and I had some P2 footage that they needed back in California. It was only about 4 gigs and I used Stuffit to compress down the file so I was only uploading 1 file. the one cool side effect of the new Stuffit is that it seems to be MXF aware. Once I compressed the file I expanded it to be sure it compressed ok. When I did a window popped up showing me a thumb nail of all the clips before it expanded, very cool.

-Lars

Return to posts index

Rob Gibson
on Mar 30, 2009 at 4:40:49 pm

What size was the file once compressed?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]