FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flicker at 24p

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Waldo Chan
Flicker at 24p
on Jan 8, 2009 at 4:09:32 pm

I have the HPX-2000, and I am shooting at 1080i 24p, I set the shutter speed to half in order to get a film look. Also I download a vivid scene file from panasonic webpage to enhace colors.

The problem starts when I make pans movement, it looks with some flicker, and I dont know how to reduce it more o remove it completely.

Can someone give me some clues, because I still want to shoot at 24p, in order to get a film look.
I try making pans more slowly, but the flicker is still there.
When I make still shots where no problem, the problem starts when I make pans....

Thank you for your time

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Flicker at 24p
on Jan 8, 2009 at 6:44:24 pm

Don't mess with the shutter speed. You already get the film look when you shoot 24p. Shooting 24p and then lowering the shutter speed will only make it look worse. Lowering the shutter speed is a trick to get the film look on video running at 29.97 or 59.94. So in doing TWO tricks to get the film look you have gone one step too far.

Set the shutter back to normal and try again just using the 24p setting.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 8, 2009 at 8:01:16 pm

Shane's right. If you look in your scene file (in the camera menu) the operation type is probably noted as film cam - not video. Then the shutter will show as 180 degrees which is correct. If you switch the operation type to video, the shutter will show as 1/48 (the reciprocal of the frame rate) which is also correct.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Jan 9, 2009 at 7:36:07 pm

Do you think flicker is actually stobing? I leaned about this in Barry Green's HVX book. At 24p, you can only pan at a certain speed or stobing will occur. There is a chart in the ACS manual and the HVX book for lens type, distance etc?

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 9, 2009 at 7:47:45 pm

I'm not a DP, but I think strobing and flicker are used interechangeably by many people. I don't know if technically they are the same. You might post on the cinematography forum to find out. http://forums.creativecow.net/forum/cinematography

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 9, 2009 at 8:30:55 pm

[John Fishback] "If you look in your scene file (in the camera menu) the operation type is probably noted as film cam - not video."

There's no film cam or video cam mode in the HPX2000.

Are you shooting AVC-I or DVCPro HD?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Waldo Chan
on Jan 9, 2009 at 8:47:49 pm

Thank you for your responses. I am shooting at AVC-INTRA 100.

You say that if I put the shutter speed off, the problem of flicker when I pan will desappear?

Thank you for you clues...

Waldo

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 10, 2009 at 6:35:04 pm

How are you monitoring the footage?

Yes, you should keep the shutter 'off'.

Any possible way you could post a few seconds of the footage?

Return to posts index

Waldo Chan
on Jan 10, 2009 at 11:39:14 pm

I watch the footage with the panasonic HD monitor LH1700W, next week I will make some test panning with the shutter speed off.

Maybe I can upload a few seconds exporting the footage at 1080i 24p apple Prores 4.2.2, but I will need your email address to do the upload via U SEND IT... because it the file might be some mega bytes....

Thank you.

Waldo

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2009 at 12:09:01 am

Are you watching straight out of camera?

editstation at gmail dotcom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]