FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing time code in P2 metadata

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Wulzen
Changing time code in P2 metadata
on Jan 5, 2009 at 10:41:13 pm

Ok, I know it sounds a little nuts, and in any other situation, I don't know why anyone in their right mind would want to go in and purposely alter the time code of their footage...but now I do. There are a couple of workarounds, but if it is possible to not resort to them, that would be best. Here is the situation:

While shooting an interview, our DP accidentally pulled the wrong card out of his HVX. Filming continued, and we lost about 2 minutes of the interview. Not great, but not the end of the world.

When going back to review the footage, the point where he pulled the card out, we now have a corrupt clip, and instead of the time code rolling along, it starts back over at 01:00:00:00. Now we have two sections, almost equal in length that both start at hour 1. For reference, and for transcription purposes, this creates a little bit of a head ache. I could lay the whole interview down in a single timeline, and re-export it with a new, continuous, time code, but that is not preferable in the slightest. I could also possibly break the interview into two separate root folders, "Interview Part 1" and "Interview Part 2", but again this makes things a little more complicated than it needs to be for transcription, reference, and archival purposes.

What I really want to do is find the section where the footage breaks, and from that point on label it hour 2 and call it a day.

Is this possible? Is there a particular software that would make this easy to accomplish, or do I need to change the data in the XML files of each clip from then on out? Is there an easier solution I am missing?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-David

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Changing time code in P2 metadata
on Jan 6, 2009 at 4:50:17 am

Are you using FCP with log and transfer?

Return to posts index

David Wulzen
on Jan 6, 2009 at 4:47:19 pm

Yep. Is there a setting within FC to alter the information?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 6, 2009 at 5:00:42 pm

Modify > Timecode

Return to posts index

David Wulzen
on Jan 6, 2009 at 5:13:57 pm

Are you talking about within the Log and Transfer window? That function is grayed out.

Also, all of my files within that P2 folder are unlocked, FYI.

And if I modify the time code once I've logged the footage, will that permanently change the P2 metadata?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 6, 2009 at 5:18:10 pm

This will be to the Quicktime files only AFTER you log and tranfer, not on your P2 cards. That remains as is.

Return to posts index

David Wulzen
on Jan 6, 2009 at 5:23:13 pm

This is what I'm trying to avoid. I DO want to affect the P2 data, and not what I transfer.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 6, 2009 at 5:37:54 pm

Not sure if that's possible, not with any current tools anyway. Id' leave it alone and chnage the tc after you transfer.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 6, 2009 at 8:42:16 pm

Raylight is supposed to be able to go from FCP to P2. If you transfer to FCP, modify the tc as Shane suggests, and then put the result out to a P2 card (I wouldn't wipe your master) you might end up with what you need. I have no idea if the metadata will follow along this process.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

David Wulzen
on Jan 6, 2009 at 9:44:53 pm

I ended up figuring out how to do it, by using a text editor to alter the data in the XML files. By changing the value of "Start Timecode" from hour 1 to 2 at the point of corruption, and for each file from there on out, I now have the two sections I was looking for.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions Jeremy and John.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]