FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you use 32gb cards in a P2 Store?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
Peter Corbett
Can you use 32gb cards in a P2 Store?
on Jan 3, 2009 at 10:28:32 pm

Is it possible to use 32gb cards (or even 64gb cards not filled to capacity) with a 60gb P2 Store? Just curious...

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Takafumi Akeda
Re: Can you use 32gb cards in a P2 Store?
on Jan 4, 2009 at 4:39:39 am

You can use until total 60gb.
Therefore, you can use a 32gb p2 card in a P2store.
example:
32g+16g+8G+4g=60g

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2009 at 7:38:21 pm

[Takafumi Akeda] "You can use until total 60gb.
Therefore, you can use a 32gb p2 card in a P2store.
example:
32g+16g+8G+4g=60g "

Correct, just don't expect to be able to shoot two spearate instances of 16gb and then offload from a 32 Gb card and be able to unload both of them. A partition gets created that eats up 32GB of space, even if you only shot 16gb on the 32. Hope that makes sense.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2009 at 9:21:22 am

You can use a 32, yep. Not a 64 though as the p2 store will set aside as much space as the card is capable of, not as much space that's recorded on the card. So, a 64GB card will need 64GB of space (or whatever the real world amount of space is for each) even if you have only recorded 15.78GB on the 64GB card, just for example.

Hope that helps.

What's best is a PCD20 (or PCD35) and a cheap 1TB hard drive or two for redundancy. You can also use a P2 camera to copy data to a hard drive via USB, but that will use the camera which is hard to do when you need to shoot at the same time.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Jan 4, 2009 at 10:46:27 am

Thanks guys. I thought it might be useful if you needed to quickly backup a card in the field without having to set a PC (and) HDD up.
Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Peter

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 5, 2009 at 1:50:20 am

Seems to me the P2 store is due for a serious upgrade to like 500GB if it's going continue as a relevant product with the 32GB P2 cards out at this point.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Jan 5, 2009 at 4:23:33 pm

Here Here!

We bought one with our 2000 and used it exactly once. Then wondered why we bothered. Our 7 16 gb cards kinda makes the P2Store a little pointless. Haven't shot enough to fill up 5 cards yet, much less all 7. And even then we brought along the laptop and a couple of drives. I'm sure it has a purpose somewhere, but not in our shop anymore. Worse case I can plug our drive directly into the camera and dump the footage during lunch.

Anyone looking for a used once P2 store with a nice pelican case? ;-)

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 5, 2009 at 4:39:31 pm

[Matt Gerard] "Haven't shot enough to fill up 5 cards yet, much less all 7."

Exactly, We have a hodgpodge of mixed cards (about 104 Gigs in all) and it's hard to fill all that up in one day, unless we are shooting multiple cameras, then it's easy. We also usually shoot 720pN24 to save some room on the cards as well as other reasons. Also, I find the PCD20 transfer speeds to be far faster than the P2 store due to the FW800 connection and it being more mac friendly. You can also do more than one card at once.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Jan 5, 2009 at 4:52:28 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Also, I find the PCD20 transfer speeds to be far faster than the P2 store due to the FW800 connection and it being more mac friendly"

I hear you there. I've had my eye on that unit for a while, but it seems that I've got the laptop routine down pretty well, so I think I'll stick with that for a while. Going to try to get a little turnkey portable system together with the stuff we have for a portable laptop based on set backup system, hopefully in one pelican case the guys can just slap down (somewhat gently) and start shoving cards in. Then if they know something about P2 stuff they can get in deeper and review clips and scenes with the client. If its a rookie, just copy and go. We have a range of skill levels that we see, so trying to keep it simple yet functional.

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]