FORUMS: list search recent posts

Necessary to archive P2 AND Final Cut files?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Hilliard
Necessary to archive P2 AND Final Cut files?
on Jan 3, 2009 at 4:52:50 pm

After working a few projects with the HVX-00 & 200A I recently bought an HPX-170. My media archival system has been to keep two copies of the P2 files and two copies of the ingested Final Cut media files (same codec as recorded).

Obviously, the more copies the more secure, but what are the advantages in keeping the media in the P2 file structure as well as in Final Cut media files? I assume the footage could ingest easier on certain other systems, but any other reasons to keep in originl containers?

Thanks,
Lee

Hilliard Creative Group LLC
Digital Media for Advertising, Marketing & Training
hcg1000 [at] earthlink [period] net

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Necessary to archive P2 AND Final Cut files?
on Jan 4, 2009 at 1:19:20 am

[Lee Hilliard] "My media archival system has been to keep two copies of the P2 files and two copies of the ingested Final Cut media files"

That is a TAD overkill. Two copies of the original card dumps and ONE copy of the imported media is all you really need. You can always reimport.

[Lee Hilliard] "but what are the advantages in keeping the media in the P2 file structure as well as in Final Cut media files?"

You can work with the media on any non-linear editing system. Avid, FCP, Adobe, Vegas, Edius...you aren't limiting yourself to FCP...locking yourself to that system. PLUS, FCP tends to toss a lot of the embedded metadata in the MXF files.

[Lee Hilliard] "I assume the footage could ingest easier on certain other systems, but any other reasons to keep in originl containers?"

DO you toss a tape after you capture it? I don't think so. And if you invest in Tape Backup like LTO or DLT, then you only need ONE copy. Two copies are for the not-quite-reliable hard drive backup.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Jan 4, 2009 at 7:12:15 am

Also with all the QT re wrapping plugins, such as MXF4QT, you could work with the original P2 files rather than transcode them to QT files.

Return to posts index

glenn jones
on Mar 11, 2009 at 2:01:59 pm

anyone needing to archive to LTO may contact me - I have both new and refurbished units (and autoloaders) - both standard and MXF aware ones - 01204 557666 - GLENN ( http://www.craystone.co.uk )

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]