FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting Settings P2/HD & macbook (white)

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandre Portella
Shooting Settings P2/HD & macbook (white)
on Dec 24, 2008 at 5:17:33 pm

I'm in pre-production of a 50min doc about a religious order that helps convalescent individuals. The film deals with a lot of issues, mainly religion, philantropy, and spiritual/emotional health.
Anyways, I'm looking to buy the HPX-170 (NTSC). I much rather make an investment in a camera that is "cutting-edge" technology than one that uses miniDV.

I have many questions about this camera, and most of them are really vague, as I am still learning about HD, but the main one right now deals with computer specs.

I wish to edit the material on a macbook (white) running final cut pro 5.1.4. (2Ghz, 2GB ram, integrated graphics card) connected to an external HD monitor with an external FW400 5400rpm drive.

I plan on eventually purchasing a more powerful computer, but I would like to know if the white macbook can handle footage shot in HD with the HPX.

Also, should I shoot in a specific format to make it easier on the white macbook? And after shooting with such a format, should I use a certain capture setting to make it even easier on the macbook?

Thanking in advance!
And Merry Holidays to all!

ps I apologize if I sound vague, but I'm very much "in the weeds" with this tecnhology.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Shooting Settings P2/HD & macbook (white)
on Dec 25, 2008 at 12:34:17 am

That computer MIGHT work...but just barely. The only way you can get the P2 card offloaded onto it is by connecting the camera via firewire. But then you need to offload the card to a drive, and the only drive connection you have left is USB...which isn't bad.

But Firewire 5400 drive is NOT good for HD. DV, yes, but DVCPRO HD...won't cut it. Need at least a 7200rpm Firewire drive.

And yes, get a better computer soon. MacBook pro and the Duel Systems adapter allow direct card connection, and the MacBook pro is faster and is designed for video editing.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alexandre Portella
on Dec 25, 2008 at 10:36:41 pm

Shane,
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply me. (and for the heads up!)

What do you think of an iMac with the following specs:
2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
320GB hard drive (7200rpm)
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB
and it has firewire 800 and 400.

Cheers!

ps. What's a "duel system adapter"? I suppose it has something to do with connecting the p2 card directly to the computer...

Return to posts index

Alexandre Portella
on Dec 25, 2008 at 11:50:47 pm

Heh. Nevermind. Just found out what it is within the COW forum.
Thanks anyways!

ps. If I can read and copy the data from P2 on camera, then I don't really need this "duel" thingy, right?

Return to posts index

Eric Harnden
on Dec 28, 2008 at 11:53:24 pm

right.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 31, 2008 at 3:25:21 am

[Alexandre Portella] "ps. What's a "duel system adapter"? I suppose it has something to do with connecting the p2 card directly to the computer..."

Exactly. The Previous Apple laptops, the Powerbook G4 line, had PCMCIA slots, and the P2 cards fit right into the computers, no problem. Now the new MacBook Pro's do no have this slot, they have the newer Express34 slots. The P2 cards cannot be offloaded to them without an adapter, the Duel Systems adapter.

But you have an iMac, that adapter won't work. You will have to use the camera to offload. Or get a really expensive Panasonic offoading device.

Shane

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Aug 29, 2009 at 10:49:13 pm

[Shane Ross] "The Previous Apple laptops, the Powerbook G4 line, had PCMCIA slots, and the P2 cards fit right into the computers, no problem."

So I can connect two external drives to my old TiBook, insert the P2 (will be using new E series)in the cardbus slot, and copy the files to the externals?

That would be cool!

Still scared about a tapeless workflow. Me being a no talent wannabee, not to mention somewhat of a dork. Course to pay for the HPX300, I am going to have do real work.

Thanks,
Robert
PS: Anybody list copy times?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 30, 2009 at 10:22:07 pm

[Robert Ober] "So I can connect two external drives to my old TiBook, insert the P2 (will be using new E series)in the cardbus slot, and copy the files to the externals? "

Should be fine.

Copy times are 1GB per min. 16GB card offloads in 16 min.

Shane

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Aug 30, 2009 at 10:35:22 pm

[Shane Ross] "Should be fine.

Copy times are 1GB per min. 16GB card offloads in 16 min."

Very cool,

I suppose I shall heat up a few credit cards and get the 300 while they have the rebate. I suspect they are clearing out stock to go to a better or different lens. Seems like I saw something about a Canon lens coming but that may have been a different cam.

Thanks for all the help over the years in the FCP forums and now here. I even checked out your blog and I generally do not read blogs (other than FSJ).

Robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]