FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tape based archive setups

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Gerard
Tape based archive setups
on Dec 11, 2008 at 7:04:03 pm

Allright, my boss has decided to invest in a tape based BU system to our hard drive archives. Right now we are using Weibetech bare drive enclosures, archiving projects and P2 data directly to bare hard drives, then shelving them. He wants to have a tape BU of the hard drives as well.

I will be interested in hearing what you are using and why, as well as any issues you had/are having. I just want a turnkey system that will work, as I don't really have the time to test and trial and mess around, I figured I'd ask what works for you!

Thanks for all your input, as I said I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to tape based backup, and I'm in the process of digging through the manufactures sites to try to parse out what I need.

Thanks!
Matt

A little Background-

we have 3 FCP suites on their own xraids networked via gigabit ethernet, an HPX2000 and a brand spanking new HVX170. Looking for fast and reliable, but not breaking the bank. right now I'm to report the estimated costs to the boss, don't really have a budget for it. Most of our archive HD's are 500GB or smaller, and boss wants one BU tape per HD to make it simple.

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
Re: Tape based archive setups
on Dec 12, 2008 at 4:35:08 pm

Anything recommended that is less costly (with obviously fewer features like being MXF aware, capacity and speed) We're looking into something too, but don't need network capability. Any thoughts on VXA320? That is what we are leaning toward.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 12, 2008 at 8:34:42 pm

I don't have anything that' less costly, unfortuantely, altough there's a bunch of different formats out there. The nice thing about LTO/DLT is that it's pretty much a format that is supported across many different industries. That means it's going ot be around for a while. It would be weird to buy a solution now and have it die in 3 years. Do you still have any iomega Jaz drives around? Yikes.

Return to posts index

Matt Steeves
on Dec 17, 2008 at 3:08:44 pm

I second the LTO-3 drives. Has been working for our P2 and FCP backups for a year now!

Apple Certified Final Cut Pro 6
Mac Pro 3.0 Quad
Kona LHe
Panasonic HPX-2000

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]