FORUMS: list search recent posts

possible to upgrade P2 store harddrive?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael MK Siu
possible to upgrade P2 store harddrive?
on Dec 4, 2008 at 8:30:35 am

Dear all,

I am wondering if it is at all possible to upgrade the P2 Store hard drive to a higher capacity? (Not by end user, but perhaps by sending it into Panasonic?)

I find the capacity of 60gig to be increasingly in-efficient, especially with using the new 16 and 32 gig cards on location.

Thanks!
Michael
---
http://www.dsvhortfilms.com
http://www.mksiu.com

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Re: possible to upgrade P2 store harddrive?
on Dec 4, 2008 at 11:24:40 am

Hi,

Unfortunately this really is not possible.

Sorry,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

thomas scheffer
on Dec 8, 2008 at 7:23:20 pm

hi jan,

why isnt it possible? i have seen there is a linux partition generated by the p2 store.
with a firmware update it should be possible to 'teach' p2store to handle a larger drive.
what do you think?

kind regards
thomas

best regards
thomas

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 4, 2008 at 9:39:11 pm

Yup- I always thought of the Store as kind of a stopgap solution until the higher capacity cards hit. With a couple of 32GB or 16GB cards you really don't need it anymore for all but the most longform work and even than a laptop could cover the same business in a less portable way.

Noah

Check out My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Josh Wallace
on Feb 17, 2009 at 5:28:03 pm

The P2 Store has been a really useful and at times key part of my P2 workflow in the field for several years now (for short form projects). It is far more practical than a laptop in many situations (ie it's small and runs off camera batteries) and it's simplicity of operation means any muppet can perform a verified card offload for you if you're preoccupied actually shooting. If only there was some will from Panasonic to find a way to upgrade the drive size it could be part of my workflow for several more years. Surely it can be done, this is a $1050 dollar box rendered obsolete because it has a cheap 60GB drive in it and the manufacturer isn't looking after their customers by trying to find a way to future proof it. It's actually embarrassing telling people that I own a $1050 60GB box!
The affordable price of Sony's SxS cards really is starting to make me think twice about P2.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]