FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200 vs. PD150

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Weisman
HVX200 vs. PD150
on Dec 3, 2008 at 12:22:14 am

I am looking to buy a camera, mostly for the purpose of documentary use. I feel conflicted about what to buy, mostly because I don't know that much about the cameras I am interested in purchasing. People say standard def is a thing of the past, and as far as I know, the PD150 is standard def. I have friends who have raved about the HVX200, and I know you can shoot mini dv on the HVX200, but as far as I know, it won't be in hi def. So, if I am on location, I don't necessarily want to be constantly stopping to load p2 cards into my on-set computer, as it will probably interfere with what I am shooting. I was looking for advice, anything. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: HVX200 vs. PD150
on Dec 3, 2008 at 3:41:14 am

If you want HD, there's no question you need to shoot on an HVX.

There are now 64 Gig cards on the market, shooting in 720p24N (that's roughly 24 native frames per second) you will get somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 minutes of footage, put in two cards and it doubles that. If you can't afford to buy the cards right now, rent them. They are usually decently cheap to rent. Get enough cards to get you through the day, and download at night. I highly recommend the AJ-PCD20 for multiple card situations. You can rent those too, sometimes with cards.

I wouldn't shoot sd.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Christopher Ladue
on Dec 3, 2008 at 8:02:04 am

Correction...in 720 24pN using a 64gb card will yield 2:40 min or approx 170 minutes...so with two 64s you will have over 5 hours of footage!

That's if you are willing or able to spend over $5000 on two cards!

The panasonic cams are absolutely awesome... But the recording media is steep.... You might also consider the new panasonic hmc 150, it records to cheap SD cards, and quality wise is very close to the Hvx 200/Hpx 170.

Return to posts index

Jake Weisman
on Dec 3, 2008 at 6:10:24 pm

So if I wanted to shoot HD, then is the HVX200 the best and cheapest available option?

Return to posts index

Christopher Ladue
on Dec 3, 2008 at 6:47:40 pm

It depends on what you mean by "cheapest", It may cost somewhere between $4000 - $5000 for an HVX200, and i think you would get a 16gb P2 card included. a 16gb card will allow you to record 16 minutes in 1080p, or 40 minutes in 720 24pN. Then another 16gb card would cost about $900. So, for about $6000 you would be able to shoot 720 24pN for about 80 minutes.... you will also have to take into account your archiving methods, currently I Archive to Hard Drives, and i always make sure to have my material backed up to 2 hard drives, in the event that one failed i'd be ok... so you'd have to factor in the cost of your archiving media as well.

If you are leaning towards the HVX200, because of the great things you've heard about it... then i would definitely recommend the HPX170... the 170 is a huge upgrade from the HVX200...HUGE!.. if you need the tape drive on the HVX then definitely go for the upgraded HVX200A

Hope this helps,

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Dec 3, 2008 at 7:18:44 pm

Safe yourself a lot of money and buy a Canon HV30. Its HD, shoots on very cheap miniDV tape. While you save money to buy something much better then the HVX200, you can get tonnes of experience.
And if you shoot some really great stuff you can still use it even in Broadcast.
For my 2 cents I think the HVX200 is obsolete by now. I for instance would wait for something like the scarlet from Red. And the other will not sleep forever..
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ratings.php

Carsten

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Dec 4, 2008 at 6:46:36 pm

The HV30 makes very nice looking images... but it's not exactly a manual camera and it's audio capabilites probably aren't what you would want in a producton camera... not a production where audio is important. :-)

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Dec 4, 2008 at 8:31:40 pm

point taken :-)
It's just an awful time to buy cameras in the moment as so many things are changing.
maybe renting?

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Dec 4, 2008 at 11:51:07 pm

That's a good point, I think it's a good idea to rent or borrow any camera before buying it. Especially with tapeless workflows, you never know how your system will work with a particular CODEC or format until you use it... it seems better to find that out before you spend a lot of money. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 5, 2008 at 4:21:12 pm

[Carsten Orlt] "It's just an awful time to buy cameras in the moment as so many things are changing. "

You buy for what you need to shoot now, not what you need to shoot four years from now. Now is a great time to buy cameras as you are not limited to one $75,000 Beta SP systems and all the big iron that it needs to support it.

I think it will be hard for Jake going from SD video to a workflow featuring Red or Scarlet or whatever system they are going to have in a year or two. That's not very solid advice.

The HVX200 (or similar cameras such as the HPX170, or the AVCHD cameras) is a solid starter HD kit. You can get very nice images and you will also learn the basics in a tapeless workflow. Is it the cheapest? No, but that not really what you want, is it?

Christopher Ladue, thanks for the correction in my math.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]