FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX2000 Scene Files

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Pierre
HPX2000 Scene Files
on Dec 1, 2008 at 4:55:49 pm

I'm shooting in Texas with the HPX2000. 720P DVCPRO 23.98 native.
I'm wondering if anyone has scene files available to get maximum dynamic range and a "film look".
We're going to be shooting wide landscape exteriors on a jib in broad daylight (no additional lighting... just mother nature).

I'm thinking of using DRS and the "filmlike 3" gamma. Any advice or scene files would be great.

thank you,
Michael

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: HPX2000 Scene Files
on Dec 1, 2008 at 6:08:18 pm

A good matte box, ND and ND grad filters and a polarizer should be considered essential to getting good stuff above and beyond the in-camera settings.

-Noah

Check out My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
on Dec 1, 2008 at 6:41:15 pm

I agree.
We've got an Arri Matte Box /follow focus and a full set of filters.

I'm just looking to get the best out of the camera in terms of the gamma settings, DRS and colors as well.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 1, 2008 at 11:20:16 pm

I'd get in there with the waveform and vectorscope as well. I've found in general a neutral setting with the right filters results in a much more usable image than trying to fit a scene into someone else's scene file.

Noah

Check out My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 1, 2008 at 11:38:06 pm

Stay away from the DRS unless oyu really need it. It is quite an amazing little switch, but it tends to add a bit of noise. Use only when necessary.

It's good for shooting indoors with bright windows.

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
on Dec 2, 2008 at 12:13:04 am

Can you tell me more about your experience with DRS and noise. What were your shooting conditions?
Panasonic is making quite a bid deal out of DRS... I figured it was worth checking out.

Based on some down and dirty preliminary tests today I can't tell if I like DRS or not. As far as I can tell it makes the whole shot a little milky. I certainly see more detail come out in the shadow when DRS is activated, but then I immediately want to drop the master pedestal to make the black shadows darker. When I drop the master pedestal most of the highlights are still preserved from DRS (which is good) but I'm not sure if the overall look of DRS is pleasing to me. I'm waiting for a CRT monitor so I can take a closer look.

Regarding the noise:
I'm going to have a ton of light (Wide Exterior daytime landscapes)... so I'm figuring that with all that light there will be less noise (even with DRS on). Also, we're shooting 720P (not 1080P) and I was under the impression that less noise would be visible at a lower resolution.

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Dec 2, 2008 at 12:20:53 am

Hi,

Think of the DRS as the Easy Button for controlling wide dynamic range in a run and gun scenario. No Easy Button is going to be a replacement for a talented eye and a capable DIT. The DRS can add noise in perfect scenes but can make impossible to get scenes possible. Those scenes are the ones that have about 11 stops or more of dynamic range. The algorithm runs a comparative analysis from sector to sector on the picture. Use only as necessary.

We did post a bunch of new scene files for the 2000 over on the panasonic.com/broadcast site. Scroll down the page there is a link on the right hand side.

Have fun,

Jan

Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
on Dec 2, 2008 at 12:29:11 am

Thanks Jan.

yeah I found those scene files earlier today. We're going to try a couple out as our base look and then salt to taste from there.

One more question since you're here.... We're shooting multiple cameras. Four HPX2000's and MAYBE one HPX500. The producers are wanting to save money which is why we might not add another 2000.

My question is: in terms of dynamic range how do the two cameras compare. I have read that the 500 is about 10 stops. What about the HPX2000? You mentioned 11 stops.

If set up properly will these two cameras match? (both shooting DVCPRO 720P/N).

Return to posts index

on Dec 2, 2008 at 1:39:19 am

[Michael Pierre] "My question is: in terms of dynamic range how do the two cameras compare. I have read that the 500 is about 10 stops. What about the HPX2000? You mentioned 11 stops.)."

I mentioned the scene being 11 stops, that is where DRS can come in handy. The 500 is a little more low light sensitive without gain as it has bigger pixels and the range between the two cameras is similar unless you look at the digital super gain and the DRS.

[Michael Pierre] "If set up properly will these two cameras match? (both shooting DVCPRO 720P/N)."

They may be similar but they won't be the same, there a a lot of controls on the 2000 that are simply not there in the 500, so depending on the look you choose, you may not even get close with the 500. You might during post though.

The 2000 is sharper, but you would expect that for a camera that costs $13000 more, so don't be shooting the smae guy at different angles and expect them to cut flawlessly. Use the 500 for the cut-aways and b-roll stuff.

Hope that helps,

Jan

Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 2, 2008 at 3:16:17 am

I agree with Jan and also Noah.

Get your self a CamAlign/Chroma Du Monde chart with a waveform and vectorscope chart to get your colors close. You won't fix the difference in resolution, but if you get the colors close, the resolution will matter a bit less. I matched an HVX200 and HPX2000 pretty decently, and you should be able to get even closer if you have better glass on the 500. The master Ped and gamma settings will help a lot, and then fool with the matrix in the 2000 to match up to the 200.

Also, you can also shoot the 2000 in DVCPro HD instead of AVC-I which can 'help' in matching the look, but you won't be getting the most out of the 2000.

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on Dec 3, 2008 at 7:40:33 pm

Anyone know if these scene files will work with an HDX900?

J Cummings
DP/Chicago
http://www.cameralogic.tv
HDX-900/HDW-730S/DXC-D50

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 5, 2008 at 4:25:22 pm

[John Cummings] "Anyone know if these scene files will work with an HDX900?"

I would think not as the menu structure is different in all the cameras.

It does not appear that Panasonic has posted scene files for the 900 on this page:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/scene_files_main.asp

Since that camera has been out for a little while, I would imagine that there has to be some resources out there for scene files. A quick Google brought up this:

http://www.hdx900crew.com/hdx900_settings

I am sure you can probably find some more. Good luck!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on Dec 5, 2008 at 5:41:37 pm

Thanks Jeremy. I had already stumbled onto those files you linked to...seems to be the only thing out there.

It's unfortunate Panasonic doesn't support us HDX owners, even though it's still a popular camera in their lineup.

J Cummings
DP/Chicago
http://www.cameralogic.tv
HDX-900/HDW-730S/DXC-D50

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]