FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help with P2 log and Transfer

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruno Toré
Help with P2 log and Transfer
on Nov 27, 2008 at 7:21:36 pm

So clearly I don't know much about P2 cards.

Im planing on using the Log and transfer window to import all of the P2 cards into Fcp, Is this the best thing to do?

My main concern is to have the best possible quality, which takes me to the next question.

Import Preferences?

If using the log and transfer is my best option, than what should I choose and what is the difference

P2 Plugin
Apple Pro Res 422 or Apple Pro Res 422 HQ

AVCHD Plugin
AVCHD: Apple Pro Res 422 or Apple Intermediate Codec
AC-3 Audio: Apple Pro Res 422 or Apple Intermediate Code

And last but not least should I leave the Remove Advanced Pulldown and Duplicate Frames checked or unchecked.

Once again my biggest concern is to preserve as much of the original files quality as possible.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Help with P2 log and Transfer
on Nov 28, 2008 at 3:50:30 am

You really don't understand P2. It could not be easier. First I would suggest you back up the original P2 card/s to a couple of different hard drives. I would recommend a RAID 1 HD.

You do not to change any settings to your system. Log and transfer your clips and FCP6 will automatically know what format you shot in. Do not change the format for the footage on the cards.

If your biggest concern is quality, then you have nothing to worry about. Quality will not change.

Go do a search on P2 workflow or pick one of a few DVD's that are available and get yourself accustomed to the P2 workflow. It's hard to screw things up with P2.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Bruno Toré
on Nov 28, 2008 at 5:05:13 am

Ok... if it does such a great job recognizing the format why does it automatically check the pull down box if I didnt shoot 1080i 24PA?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 29, 2008 at 4:21:56 pm

That is just the default setting. It won't re I've pulldown unless it needs to.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 1, 2008 at 12:37:02 am

Which camera are you shooting that would help. AVCIntra cameras transcode to pro-res, DVCPROHD cameras do not.

Noah

Check out My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

David Keslick
on Dec 1, 2008 at 7:29:17 pm

I have found that Raylight for Mac from dvfilm.com is easier to use than log and capture.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 1, 2008 at 11:25:46 pm

Yep- certainly much faster. But MXF native is not for everyone. Especially if you want to exchange an FCP project with someone who doesn't own Raylight or one of the other MXF translators.

Noah

Check out My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Cal Gordon
on Dec 10, 2008 at 3:50:30 am

I was wondering if you or anyone has a solution for my problem. Basically, I'm unable to transfer some of my clips from the "Log and Transfer" window to the "Browser" window on Final Cut Pro. Whenever I add some of these clips (through Add Selection/Clip to Queue), the orange (!) comes up.

I've shot my footage using a Panasonic HVX200, and my Mac and software are as follows:

FCP 6.0.1
QT 7.5
Mac 10.4.11 (2.16 GHz IntelCore Duo)

I've tried to download Sony's XDCAM's Transfer Utility 1.0 but unfortunately it requires FCP 6.0.3. I'm not even sure it will work. I've also tried AVD-Intra and that didn't work either.

If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know as I'm stuck editing my piece. Again, this only happens for some of the clips, while others do transfer just fine.

Thanks very much!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 10, 2008 at 7:41:41 am

OH you have to upgrade. 6.0.1 is pretty old, and buggy when it came to P2 import. You need to be on at least 6.0.4...although the only version available now is 6.0.5. But that version is stable.

Why are you still on 6.0.1?

Shane

Return to posts index

Cal Gordon
on Dec 12, 2008 at 3:21:30 am

Thanks for responding. I bought FCP 6.0.1 since I'm a student and that was their latest un-upgradeable academic version.

Good news is that I finally figured out the "log and transfer" problem in FCP! It's very simple as it turns out. The name for the takes should not be more than 26 characters! When I shortened the names I originally had given, the clips transferred just fine!

The irony of all ironies is that FCP allows the editor to name the takes with more than 26 characters, only for him to find out later that it won't work. If that's going to be the issue, FCP should just not let the editor type in anything longer than what's permitted.

OMG! Who would have thought?!?! :-)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 13, 2008 at 3:27:06 am

The odd thing is that I can make the names longer than 26 characters and it imports them fine. 32 characters....48 characters. Worked fine. So it must be a combination of factors.

I work with 720p24 24pn footage. What was the format of your footage that wouldn't import? I'll try to shoot the same format and then try.

Shane

Return to posts index

Cal Gordon
on Dec 15, 2008 at 2:09:17 am

We shot on 720p24 (true 24). We shot a variety of footage...24 fps, 60 fps, sound, no sound. Some were spanned, some were not. The clips that wouldn't transfer were a combination of the above...which was why I couldn't figure out what was wrong. The only thing they had in common though was the length of the names I had given them. Those that transferred fine had fewer than 26 characters.

I arrived at this solution indirectly while I was reading around Creative Cow. Someone just mentioned in passing not to name your clips too long, but didn't give a reason why. I didn't think much of it but when I truncated the names, presto! they transferred right away.

I've tested this with clips that weren't problematic and true enough, when I name them with more 26 characters, that orange (!) comes up.

:-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]