FORUMS: list search recent posts

64GB P2 Available

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Stephens
64GB P2 Available
on Nov 26, 2008 at 7:06:55 pm

Well all you purebreed P2'ers in the herd, I was just told the the 64GB are available......

I am just not pleased with the price.... ouch!!!!!!

AJP2C016GB $825
AJP2C032GB $1530
AJP2C064GB $2449

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
Re: 64GB P2 Available
on Nov 27, 2008 at 12:14:07 am

Hi Nate,

Lots of opinions over at DVXuser on this 64gig card price topic,
http://dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=153307
If you have a few hours to spare just reader all the posts.
If you have plenty of bucks and great clients with very deep pockets, get a hand full of them.

Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Nov 27, 2008 at 2:21:13 am

As most of the posts in that "other forum" have stated, the price for P2 is still way too high. When the price of two 64 gig cards more approaches/resembles that of a $1695.00 Firestore 160, then Panasonic will have it right. They also have it right that the HMC150 is the bomb right now. Excellent pictures that match seamlessly with my HVX 200, and 16 gig cards that do 90 minutes of HD each for $29.00. You can get 32 gig cards that shoot 3 hours of HD for $59.00. This is the future.

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows XP Adobe Studio CS3, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.2, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 6, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 27, 2008 at 6:46:03 am

Give it a little time, they'll come down in price substantially. Look at the 8GB card. Remember how much it was when it first came out? They were even hard to find in stock.

My estimate for the 64GB is $1500 in a year. By then, the 128GB should be shipping.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on Nov 27, 2008 at 12:00:23 pm

If the 128gig is priced like the 64gig, you will probably get a camera "thrown in" with the card. If there is another 12month wait for yet another installment of P2 media, most likely some other format may just surpass it ?

(cynical viewpoint)

Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 28, 2008 at 3:39:44 am

Technology takes time to build. I'm guessing the 128GB will be ready second quarter 2009.

Perhaps the 32GB or 64GB card would come with the camera and not the opposite.

originally the 8GB card came with the camera now it's the 16GB.

By the way, who pays full price for anything these days? I never have and never will.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Nov 29, 2008 at 7:40:21 am

I think the 64Gb cards are priced about $600 too high, or more. You can get 64Gb of very fast solid state memory for 10-15x less these days. Sure, it doesn't have the custom RAID controller that a P2 card features, and the super-specialized memory chips that make up the RAID, but I have a hard time justifying a 10-15X premium for P2 tech.

Also, why haven't the prices for the 32 and 16 GB cards come down? They've been out a year, and the price for every other solid state memory format has plummeted in that time, so why virtually NO price reduction on the 16 and 32 GB cards? This tells me that Panasonic chose to build P2 around a memory technology that's so specialized and rare that it's immune to dropping component prices throughout the rest of the industry. And that's bad news for Panasonic, because customers are going to start looking at other, far cheaper media...

Come on, Panasonic! You've got to realize that no price reduction on your existing cards, after a full year on the market, is going to have people questioning the future of the format...

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Nov 29, 2008 at 12:31:49 pm

I guess it has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of the memorycards or the raidchips or the rest of the hardware. It is like the Music CD's - as long as we will pay that big amount for a P2 card - it will be the price. In the music industri it happend when the CD's came out - in the beginning they were more expensive, than the old LP's - because of the production cost's .
When the productioncost dropped to almost nothing - the prices stayed up because people were ready to pay the price. Guess the only thing that could make the price drop, is the SxS camera ability to use HC-SD memorycards - that would make the SxS cameraes a cheaper solution and give panasonic a real competition. And maybe their own HD-SD cameraes....We just need Sony to produce a broadcast camera with SxS cards...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]