FORUMS: list search recent posts

Would this work - Protools on a P2 Card??

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Goldblum
Would this work - Protools on a P2 Card??
on Nov 24, 2008 at 4:54:14 am

Hi,

I own a couple of P2 cards and I am wondering if this would work. Normally when you record in Protools they recommend an external drive. I am curious if I buy the adaptor card for my MacBook Pro, and plug in 12 or so mic cables, and format my P2 card as a Mac OS Journaled (how I normally format my drives), and hit record..... what will happen and will it work?? I'm sure the cards are fast enough to capture the data, but sometimes Protools is a bit finicky.

Also, will I be able to reformat the P2 card in my HVX200 so that everything works again?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Would this work - Protools on a P2 Card??
on Nov 25, 2008 at 1:47:40 am

If this works, why would you do this? You can buy an external drive for less than $100 US and not mess around with recording to your expensive p2 cards.

Return to posts index

Gary Goldblum
on Nov 25, 2008 at 11:44:47 pm

Two reasons....

1) Using the P2 card I would only need one power outlet (for computer), it weighs a LOT less, and could fit in my computer bag.... one less thing to worry about.

2) I could travel and mix my recordings on the go. Remember that you see a huge drop in performance if you try to run audio/video on your internal drive. It would be way cool mixing or editing on a plane!

I thought the P2 cards are super durable .... do you think they could they handle it?

Thanks for writing back!

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 26, 2008 at 3:50:36 am

If I were you, I'd get a bus powered firewire drive and be done with it. You can get two of those for the price of one p2 card and have 100 times the storage space, and even enough room left over for video. Sorry man, I just can't advocate editing other material off of a p2 card. It's not worth it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 27, 2008 at 7:30:55 am

Yeah P2 is great but ridiculously expensive on a price/GB basis for anything other than shooting DVCPROHD. I'd go with SDHC cards instead. Plenty fast enough for ProTools and cheap as dirt. Any USB-2 or Expresscard reader/writer would do the trick.

Noah

Check out My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]