FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 questions P2 and Resouting/frame rates

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allen Zagel
2 questions P2 and Resouting/frame rates
on Nov 23, 2008 at 1:02:02 am

hi

Just wondering, is that P2 size for PCMCIA or the PCIE slots? My new MBP has PciE. If so I can download the P2 cards directly into my laptop?

#2 Where can I go to read and learn about these resolutions, frame and bitrates. I'm getting ready to make the jump into the AG-HPX170 so I better learn these. Stuff like 1080i, 720p / 30p 60p?

I guess the 1080 and 720 is the size? Like I have a monitor with 1020 X 768? 30p 60p same as 30fps (29.97) 24 (film rate)?

I think most of my shooting would still be for SD as most of my training vids still go to MPEG-1 and multimedia CD-Rom's. If I kept HD at all it would be when I shoot my tourist/railfan DVD's as well as my advertising vids. I've heard more than once that shooting HD and downconverting to SD still gives a much better picture?

Also shooting 16:9 like I think these HD cameras do? How would I get it down to 4:3. Wide angle isn't going to do it for my technical training and legal video work.

Yup! Time to start studing up on these (new to me) terms.
Thanks
Allen

ASX Media Group, Inc.
http://www.asxvideo.com
NEW DVD - Europe, Trains-n-Trams

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 2 questions P2 and Resouting/frame rates
on Nov 24, 2008 at 6:49:20 pm

[Allen Zagel] "is that P2 size for PCMCIA or the PCIE slots? My new MBP has PciE. If so I can download the P2 cards directly into my laptop?"

PCMCIA...and no, it will not work on the MacBook Pros without an adapter. The Duel Systems Adapter is the one people use. I use the older Powerbook G4 that has the PCMCIA slots.

[Allen Zagel] "#2 Where can I go to read and learn about these resolutions, frame and bitrates. I'm getting ready to make the jump into the AG-HPX170 so I better learn these. Stuff like 1080i, 720p / 30p 60p?"

THis book is a GREAT resource for those entering the realm of HD...

http://www.proappstips.com/HDSurvivalHandbook/

[Allen Zagel] "I guess the 1080 and 720 is the size? Like I have a monitor with 1020 X 768? 30p 60p same as 30fps (29.97) 24 (film rate)?"

Yup, you got it. 1080i is 1920x1080 and 720p is 1280x720. But most HD formats are anamorphic, meaning they stretch the image to compress the image to get better data rates. 960x720 and 1440x1080 (1280x1080 for DVCPRO HD) are the sizes you will see mainly. FCP and Avid and Adobe stretch them full frame when editing.

[Allen Zagel] "I've heard more than once that shooting HD and downconverting to SD still gives a much better picture?"

Tis true.

[Allen Zagel] "Also shooting 16:9 like I think these HD cameras do? How would I get it down to 4:3. Wide angle isn't going to do it for my technical training and legal video work."

All HD is 16:9. And if you want to output to 4:3, there are ways to do that. CENTER CROPPING is one method. Or, you can keep the 16:9 frame since most TVs and monitors sold lately are HD sets that are 16:9.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Allen Zagel
Re: 2 questions P2 and Resouting/frame rates
on Nov 25, 2008 at 12:00:27 am

Hi Shane

Wow! Thanks so much for your info. I'm going right over and get that eBook (PDF). Price is right!

So now I got to see how fast I can afford that AG-HPX170! Sorry but I'm getting excited that I won't have to carry a 19lb DSR-250 too much longer! ;-)

Regards
Allen

ASX Media Group, Inc.
http://www.asxvideo.com
NEW DVD - Europe, Trains-n-Trams

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]