FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2CMS amd the LASTCLIP.TXT file

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Steeves
P2CMS amd the LASTCLIP.TXT file
on Nov 19, 2008 at 7:04:49 pm

I am testing out Panasonics P2CMS program for the first time today. Until now I have been using the Finder to copy all of my P2 data. I noticed that when ingesting footage with this program it creates a separate sub folder for each shot. Final cut will not recognize the folder containing these sub folders, instead you have to select each sub folder and import them into log and transfer. There is no LASTCLIP.TXT associated with footage imported this way.

Until now I have treated the LASTCLIP file as sacred, since my footage is useless in FCP without it.

Is this a safe method to ingest cards and archive footage? Do you prefer using the finder?

Apple Certified Final Cut Pro 6
Mac Pro 3.0 Quad
Kona LHe
Panasonic HPX-2000

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2CMS amd the LASTCLIP.TXT file
on Nov 19, 2008 at 8:12:03 pm

I dislike P2CMS...I can't make any sense of it. SO I don't use it. Instead I sprang for SHOTPUT P2 from imagineproducts.com. $50 and it not only automates the offload process, it will offload to multiple hard drives (wise) and verify the data that it offloads...something the Finder does not do. It has happened that in a Finder level copy some files didn't copy over. This isn't common, but it happens. Why take the chance?

There is also a way to make a DISK IMAGE of the P2 cards in the Log and Tranfer window...go to CARD VIEW (one of the view options), then control-click on the card and choose the ARCHIVE TO DISK IMAGE option. But, that doesn't do a file verification either. Shotput will automatically create a folder for the card, name the folder, offload the card...and if you want, reformat the card, then eject it. mighty slick.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sam Waldorf
on Nov 26, 2008 at 3:04:39 am

So to clarify,

Is it a problem to simply connect an HVX w/ cards and open up 'Log and Transfer' and then import your desired clips?

Isn't that the quickest, simplest method?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 26, 2008 at 3:09:59 am

[Sam Waldorf] "Is it a problem to simply connect an HVX w/ cards and open up 'Log and Transfer' and then import your desired clips?"

Well, do you hook your camera up to your computer, capture the footage, then toss the tape? Record over the tape? I should hope not! No, you need a backup...a FULL backup of the card that you archive. What you log and transfer is what you edit with, but the card backup on hard drive is what you put on the shelf, like a tape.

[Sam Waldorf] "Isn't that the quickest, simplest method?"

Yeah, but if you lost your media drive, then all your footage is gone. Forever. Best to have a backup.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sam Waldorf
on Nov 26, 2008 at 4:06:35 am

What if you were using a backup utility like time machine and another external HDD?

Also, what approx.. are the chances of a failure with ingesting suing only the finder?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 26, 2008 at 3:12:03 am

[Sam Waldorf] "Isn't that the quickest, simplest method?"

There used to be problems with this (digital dropout when logging and transferring straight from the card), and you won't save the MXF structure for future use.

I will have a tutorial coming up very shortly about keeping and USING the native MXF structure within FCP using MXF4Mac. There's no log and transfer and all of your metadata is preserved.

It is best to copy the MXf files off of the card and archive those. They are your digital masters.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 19, 2008 at 11:57:03 pm

Like Shane, I also use Shotput P2, but before that, I used P2CMS.

However, I did not use the ingest funciton as that made a mess and I figured that it must have some sort of specific function that was over my head. I did use the export function. Select all the clips, then export (command-e), choose "copy" and "do compare" and then set a destination and export. This will effectively copy the card in it's P2 structure and it also does NOT include the lastclip.txt file but in all the projects that I edited when using this method, it didn't seem to matter.

Return to posts index

Jamie LeJeune
on Mar 14, 2009 at 2:47:21 am

Can anyone out there confirm what the real, actual, official Panasonic approved method is for creating an archive of a P2 card?

I've read that using the Finder to copy P2 cards for archiving is a not approved, although this method does preserve the lastclip.txt file.

If, on the other hand, I ingest with P2CMS, which I would guess is the officially approved method because it's Panasonic's own program, it won't copy over the lastclip.txt file that everyone says you need to keep when archiving P2.

So, what gives? What's the right way? Am I to believe that Panasonic expects us to use P2CMS and say bye bye to the lastclip.txt file?

Jan, enlighten us please!

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Mar 14, 2009 at 12:29:57 pm

[Jamie LeJeune] "Can anyone out there confirm what the real, actual, official Panasonic approved method is for creating an archive of a P2 card?

I've read that using the Finder to copy P2 cards for archiving is a not approved, although this method does preserve the lastclip.txt file."

Hi,

The real approved method to working with P2, especially if you are using a MAC is to offload the media from the cards. How you do this is with some sort of helper programlike the Shotput described above, or P2 Log or P2CMS. Yes P2CMS is not for everyone but it is free. I think the other programs do more and so I would probably use them even if I had to spend a little money to do so. You could also use Raylight for MAC and with this program you would be able to edit from the MXF files without the need to re-wrap with QT.

That said, the worst thing to do and the most like to invite issues is to use the finder to drag and drop, as noting is covering your backside. There is no verify in this process and that is dangerous.

You can find a detailed workflow paper at http://www.panasonic.com/p2hd and look under the resources. Actually there are a number of papers there you might find interesting.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Jamie LeJeune
on Mar 15, 2009 at 12:12:58 am

Thanks Jan. P2CMS would work fine for me, but it doesn't offload the lastclip.txt file that other posts have led me to believe is necessary.

What's the official word on the lastclip.txt file? Do I need it? What purpose does it serve anyway?

If it is necessary, is there a way to make P2CMS offload it along with the contents folder?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 17, 2009 at 5:18:53 pm

[Jamie LeJeune] "If it is necessary, is there a way to make P2CMS offload it along with the contents folder? "

I never missed it when I used P2CMS to offload the cards. Ever.

I now use Shotput Pro, though, as it will go to a coupld different places at once and also automatically name the folders. It makes it a bit easier.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]