FORUMS: list search recent posts

Considering new Camera - AG-HMC150 / AG-HPX170

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allen Zagel
Considering new Camera - AG-HMC150 / AG-HPX170
on Nov 15, 2008 at 2:31:36 pm

Hi

HA! Reading about the mini-wars between Sony and Panasonic. Oh well goes a lot farther than just using a Panny camera with Vegas. Which now makes me looking at these 2 new cameras.

I do legal work in addition to technical /corporate stuff and guess what? Sony on their new EX's didn't put the Date/Time stamp feature.

So on I go to either the AG-HMC150 or the AG-HPX170 because they do have the DT feature. However I'm concerned some about the low light feature as compared to my Sony VX2000 and DSR-250.

This clip was shot in normal ambient light in Budapest with my VX2000. But surely wish Ihad an HD camera for my new DVD's

Yea, handheld too, sorry. ;-) How is the low light capability of these two cameras?

I do understand if I want to edit in Vegas, I'd need Raylight as a capture. But I also have a MacBook Pro with Final Cut Express. Which I believe will edit both P2 and AVCHD natively? I'll be eventually upgrading my main editing workstation to a Mac Pro with Final Cut Studio.

Also not quite sure if I need all the features of the 170 but I see the 150 doesn't have any FW out? How would I capture to my nNovia digital recorder? The HMC-150 uses SDHC cards. Easier to get into the computer? Is USB realy a good medium for capturing? ;-(

I'm so used to working with FW. Also my DSR-250 when all set up weighs about 19 lbs UGH! My VX2000's getting old. Time to move up to HD and tapeless workflow I think.

Also in a post below Someone mentioned recordin cdirect to a MBP i a studio test? How was that done? Sounds something like the old DV-Rack for PC's

Thanks
Allen

ASX Media Group, Inc.
http://www.asxvideo.com
NEW DVD - Europe, Trains-n-Trams

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Considering new Camera - AG-HMC150 / AG-HPX170
on Nov 16, 2008 at 8:14:51 am

Final Cut Express will not handle P2, you'd need to move up to Final Cut Pro. If you can afford an HPX170 and Final Cut Pro- get them- they are awesome and great quality. If you don't have that much budget, the HMC150 is an excellent budget alternative.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Allen Zagel
on Nov 16, 2008 at 1:03:56 pm

Hi Noah

Thanks for the info. what about low light capabilities with these 2 cameras as compared to my current VX2000/DSR-250?

Allen

ASX Media Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 17, 2008 at 2:14:24 am

Both are excellent in low light. Better than the VX2000 and DSR-250. If you get the HPX-170, Barry Green's book includes a CD with extra scene files. One of them is a low light scene file. The camera functions just fine in low light without the scene file.

I agree with Noah, if you can afford it, buy the HPX-170.

I own both the HPX-500 and HPX-170.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Allen Zagel
on Nov 17, 2008 at 3:40:48 am

Hi Steve

[Steve Eisen] "Barry Green's book includes a CD with extra scene files. One of them is a low light scene file."

Sorry being brand new to Panasonic and HD I don't quite understand the 'scene' files.

Thanks for your imput. Funny I just got back from another forum reading a 150 page thread on the HMC150. I supposed that P2 is much easier to edit though than the AVCHD. Also since I do plan to get a MacPro and Studio 2, I assume the license would also let me install it on my MBP for field use so I would have the FCP6 Also the fact that the 170 has FW so I can run my nNovia digital recorder whereas the 150 doesn't.

Low Light better than the 2000? wow that's better than 2 lux?

I also heard about the 150 in a podcast that the video isn't quite a sharp in the 150 but compared to what?

Other than the price of the P2 cards (ugh!) the 170 probably seems the way to go for me. At current prices I cold sell the VX2000 with the accessories and the DSR250, still under warranty and have money left over after buying the 170. Plus now I get t9o shoot 16;9. ;-)

Thanks again for your imput.
Allen

ASX Media Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 17, 2008 at 4:52:22 am

Allen

There are a lot of resources in the Chicago area to demo the HPX-170.

You should check out chifcpug. Next meeting is this Wednesday at the Planetarium.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors

Return to posts index

Allen Zagel
on Nov 17, 2008 at 11:50:02 am

Hi Steve

Yes, already checked out the website and talked to my partner. He's a member. Was just asking him about the 'chifcpug'.

I'll try to make it. Just trying to decide if I'm gonna drive from Elgin or take the train. ;-) Where do you park around there?

Thanks
Allen

ASX Media Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 17, 2008 at 1:31:29 pm

The Planetarium has a parking lot.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors

Return to posts index

Maurice Spees
on Feb 18, 2009 at 5:21:00 pm

I own a HVX200, what do i get for it, when I exchange it with the HPX170?
or is this the wrong post for that

Silly frontrunners....

Visualantis-Media Arts Collective for innovative Independent film, theatre, - media and educational productions for the benefit of our planet and its inhabitants - Asia Pacific

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]