FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Book Pro laptop P2 reader

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Kaiser
Mac Book Pro laptop P2 reader
on Nov 10, 2008 at 11:28:02 pm

I'm primarily a Windows user.....but hard core P2 evangelist who has recently purchased a MBP and need a way to view P2 cards on a Express card slot. No problems at all in Windows but can't figure a way in OS 10.5 (Mac or Win via Parallels Desktop) I purchased a Addonics ADEXC34CB card reader, but having no luck. Is it a Mac code issue? Addonics driver? Panasonic code? Anyone???? Jan???? Avid??

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Mac Book Pro laptop P2 reader
on Nov 11, 2008 at 12:06:20 am

You need the Duel Systems adapter. It is the ONLY adapter for P2 cards for the MacBook Pro that works. Specially designed for the P2 card. Other card readers won't work as P2 cards aren't normal PCMCIA cards.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brian Kaiser
on Nov 11, 2008 at 8:44:11 pm

Thanks to all. I'll give the Dual Systems adapter a try.

Return to posts index

Gary Goldblum
on Nov 15, 2008 at 10:49:16 pm

Hi Shane,

I am looking to buy this adaptor as well.... do you have a link?

Also how fast does it transfer? If I have a full 32gig card and my MacbookPro is 1.8Ghz machine, how long in minutes do think it would roughly take?

Thanks!

Gary

Thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 16, 2008 at 1:23:46 am

http://www.duel-systemsadapters.com/?productid=DP-0001

[Gary Goldblum] "Also how fast does it transfer"

Same as direct PCMCIA...1 GB a min. Unless you use software to offload that uses verification, then about 1GB per 1.5 min

[Gary Goldblum] "If I have a full 32gig card and my MacbookPro is 1.8Ghz machine, how long in minutes do think it would roughly take? "

32 min without verification, about 45 to 48 with verification.

Shane

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Nov 11, 2008 at 12:08:01 am

Hi Brian,
You will need this adapter <http://www.duel-systemsadapters.com/?productid=DP-0001>.
There are some drivers to get, depending upon your version of OSX, and P2 drivers for he MAC from Panasonic.
Always make sure that you slide the protect switch to "on" when you insert the cards into the adapter when attached to the MAC, finder writes a directory file that can corrupt some of the data on the card.
Matthew.

Return to posts index

Samah Bennett
on Nov 11, 2008 at 12:35:54 am

Is the protect switch on the adapter itself?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 11, 2008 at 12:40:01 am

What PROTECT switch? There is one on the card...to prevent over-writing the footage, like on tape. The adapter is just that, and adapter. bridge.

Shane

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Nov 11, 2008 at 1:42:18 am

The protect switch on the cards of course.
The adapter does have a mode switch on it for MAC (1) or PC (2).
Matthew.

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnston
on Nov 11, 2008 at 2:17:12 am

I use an old Powerbook G4.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/sys/913617475.html

I'd consider buying an old used Powerbook (Not macbook) I know it costs a little more but in some cases (like the one above) it doesn't cost that much more and there are a lot of benefits:

1. The PCMI reader built into the powerbook is more reliable than any adapter you'd buy for the macbook.

2. Your brand new macbook might see a lot of action i the field if you're always bringing it to set and stuff. Which results in a lot of where and tear. I know that sometimes sets can be the cleanest places but sometimes I'm downloading cards on my laptop in the middle of the woods or somethign ridiculous like that... and i'm happy i have an older powerbook i don't mind getting a little messed up and I'm not messing with my brand new beautifully clean macbook.

just a thought.

http://www.drewjohnston.com
http://www.lazytrumpet.com

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Nov 19, 2008 at 2:19:10 pm

This is what we did, we held onto our PB 17" for just this purpose. I just recently performed the surgery necessary to up the internal drive to 320gig, and it works great. there's a mod out there to remove the cd drive and install another HD, but I can't seem to find it right now. that would be sweet. then I bring the PB back to the office, hook it up via FW target disk mode and do my archiving and ingesting. Slick as snot on a cold door handle, as my gramps used to say.

We might have a 2 cam shoot coming up, nothing exciting, just 2 cam covering a long meeting, but i think I'm going to look for another PB for the 2nd camera, then each cam can take care of their own media. We'll see what happens.

matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]