FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 workflow newbie question

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Rowley
P2 workflow newbie question
on Nov 4, 2008 at 6:59:46 pm

I am diving into the P2 experience after a decade of shooting and editing DigiBeta. I'm doing my first test shooting with the HVX200 and am just trying to understand workflow for the time being. I shot some footage and brought it easily into FCP (thanks to Shane's tutorial). I did a simple edit in my mock project, then did some more shooting. My question is: how do I copy just the NEW shots onto my external drive and subsequently import them into my project? I've looked through the manual and haven't found this circumstance addressed. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP Studio 2 (6.02), OS X10.4.11

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2 workflow newbie question
on Nov 4, 2008 at 8:19:21 pm

In the L&T window there is an EJECT button you can use (upper left) to eject already imported P2 cards. Then just mount the new cards and import. it will add them to the project.

OH...and that tutorial needs to be updated. DO NOT copy the files from the card to the dump drive using the FINDER...drag and drop. Issues have been cropping up with that method lately. Use offloading software like Shotput P2 from imagineproducts.com...or P2CMS for free if you want to try to figure that application out (I find it unfriendly).

ShotPut P2 is the bomb.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 4, 2008 at 8:19:53 pm

You can't separate new from old at the finder level on a P2 card- it's all stored as one database. I suggest transferring all footage at once, backing it up and then reformatting the P2 card to keep things straight.

If you're interested in extensive workflow help I can recommend the following:

http://www.callboxlive.com/store/panasonic-workflow-with-final-hvx200-p-33....

and

http://www.amazon.com/HVX-BootCamp-DVD-Barry-Green/dp/B000LHAF84

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Dan Montgomery
on Nov 4, 2008 at 9:16:09 pm

Does this really happen that often? I've always had the impression folks always cleaned the card before putting any more on it.

Partly I suppose that's because until recently cards have been relatively small in size. Now that we're getting 32 and 64GB maybe this will be happening more often?

What do you think Noah? Shane?

Video logging is just the beginning...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 4, 2008 at 9:25:13 pm

People clean off the card, yes. But if they, like I, back up all the cards to a single RAID 1 drive set, or to two separate drives as a pseudo Raid 1 (I do the latter), then all of your card dumps are on one drive. So when you import, unless you eject the "card" it will still show up when you import the next one.

I rarely...heck, NEVER...have imported directly from the card. I don't have that urgent need for the footage. I always back up, then import when I am back at the office.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Montgomery
on Nov 4, 2008 at 9:33:35 pm

I don't think that's the point. Apple even tells you NOT to import directly from the card.

Could be that a progressive offload of the card might be something people will be looking for down the road.

In other words, if you've shot 10 GB and invested the time to offload that but don't erase the card and go back into the camera and shoot another 20 GB I can see where Kim would want to only copy off the next 20 GB. It would likely go into the same card image (volume) but not wasting time to copy files that are already on your hard disk makes sense.

Video logging is just the beginning...

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Nov 4, 2008 at 10:45:56 pm

Thanks to all. You hit the nail on the head Dan. I found that doing the tests as I did, things got messy fast as far as project organization is concerned. I am using a 32GB card and realize I'm trying to use it as you would a tape... I'm discovering that I have to rethink the whole process. It's alot to think about! You know something about that already since I've written you at Imagine.

Thanks for the links Noah. I've heard people talk about Barry Green's HVX book and also the Boot Camp that you mention. Do you have an opinion on which one is better or more recent? (I ask since they're not cheap...) Thanks again.

Dual 2.7 GHz G5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9650, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP Studio 2 (6.02), OS X10.4.11

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Nov 5, 2008 at 12:17:30 am

If you use Panasonic's P2CMS software it will create a database of your P2 offloads and recognize clips that have already been offloaded. Clips already in the library appear with a yellow tint.

So you could shoot, offload, leave the media on the card for safety, and go shoot more...and when you offload the second time just skip copying the tinted clips.

I keep my P2 database on an internal drive, and before I edit I have P2CMS duplicate only the clips I wish to use onto my RAID. (I have Raylight so I work with the orginal MXF files without re-wrapping... and I also feel better having yet another copy of the footage.)

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 6, 2008 at 9:54:36 pm

Personally I think it's a really bad workflow to shoot, ingest and then shoot again without first clearing off the P2 card. That's not how the structure is optimized and it's a really easy way to add even more chaos and confusion into the workflow- i.e. what's been transferred on the card and what hasn't. It's an easy way to wind up accidentally wiping a card when you've only partially transferred it's contents. Stick with the all at once method and you'll never lose a shot.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Matt Gerard
on Nov 12, 2008 at 9:57:56 pm

To answer the question, though, if you mount the card a second time after shooting more footage on it, in the L&T window the little circle to the left of the clip will be either blue(if you imported the whole clip) or half blue (if you marked an in/out and imported just a portion of the clip). As long as you are in the same project, FCP will remember the card and know what you've imported and what you haven't. Not the best way to do it, but its a good double check .

That will be the way that you can tell what you have imported and what you haven't. We get this all the time doing instant shows at tradeshows where we have multiple people shooting and cards flying at us from all directions. Organization will save your butt 95% of the time, but this little trick has saved me from wiping a non imported card several times.

I'm one of the bad ones, at instant shows we ingest right off the card. Never had a problem, but it is possible that something bad could happen.

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]