FORUMS: list search recent posts

Card Readers

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Natzke
Card Readers
on Oct 28, 2008 at 7:45:52 pm

Quick question:

With all the card readers out there, is there one that is better than the other. In other words, would it be better to get a Mac Pro with a P2 converter to read/import P2 or go with one of the stand alone options?

Thanks,

Derek

Derek L. Natzke
Producer, Life Studios
http://www.lifeteen.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Card Readers
on Oct 28, 2008 at 9:03:25 pm

Get the PCD20, or hold out for the PCD35 (PCIe)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on Oct 29, 2008 at 6:59:41 am

Hi Jeremy
May I agree, If you have the funds get the 5 card reader USB/Firewire connect. I made an Amtron Single slot reader work in my Intel Macpro, just waiting for final tests prior to release of DIY kit.
All up cost of Hardware and Driver kit I believe will be under $300US. some info on my site.
http://www.olinevideo.com.au/index.htm

Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 29, 2008 at 6:55:30 pm

[Tom Klein] "I made an Amtron Single slot reader work in my Intel Macpro, just waiting for final tests prior to release of DIY kit.
All up cost of Hardware and Driver kit I believe will be under $300US. some info on my site. "

Interesting. Could be good.

Any chance you can do a 5 card reader? When on a multicam P2 shoot, you need all the card slots you can get.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tom Klein
on Oct 29, 2008 at 9:26:25 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, I have done that too, I used an old Quicksilver Mac Dual 800, I installed Four SIIG PCI PCcard readers in the CI slots ,loaded Tiger OS 10.4.8. that OS is rock solid on reading P2 cards. Leopard is another story.
Everything comes down to your Budget, if you have an open budget get the pana solutions, if you as many cannot justify that outlay, you have to make do with what is less expensive.

PS, The best SIIG card readers (about $50each)are getting very hard to find.
Cheers
Tom K
olinevideo.com.au

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 30, 2008 at 6:13:32 pm

We use a MBP with Duel adaptor in the field. If we need to xfer P2s in the shop, we use the MBP & Duel across the network.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.4 QT7.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

dusty powers
on Nov 7, 2008 at 2:31:10 pm

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 1730 PC to run CS3. The unit has an express card slot so I picked up the Duel Adapter to off load my P2 Cards. It doesn't work on this PC, but it works on my other PC with the Express card slot. All the updated drivers are installed.

I'm tired of having to use 2 PCs for my work flow. I spent two days on the phone trying to get Dell to trouble shoot this and that was useless and a waste of my time. Duel was not very helpful either. After researching the possible problems on the net, I'm starting to believe the problem is due to the NVidia graphics card in the Dell XPS 1730 not supporting the Duel Adapter.

Any suggested work around with this. Do any of these P2 readers connect via firewire or USB 2.0 in to the PC?

Anyone heard of problems with the NVidia/Duel Adapter combo?

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Dusty Powers

dusty powers
http://www.hdcrew.net

Return to posts index

dusty powers
on Nov 7, 2008 at 5:13:27 pm

btw,

I am aware of what Panasonic has on the shelve. I was looking for other possible options.

Thank you,

dp

dusty powers
http://www.hdcrew.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]