FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX 200 and New Mac Book Pro and external monitors

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joy Marzec
HVX 200 and New Mac Book Pro and external monitors
on Oct 25, 2008 at 4:43:55 pm

I'm new to filmmaking, have recently purchased an hvx 200, and am looking into an external monitor to take out with me. I've done research on various monitors (Neb, tv logic, etc) and am wondering if anyone has considered using the new Macbook Pro 15" as their external monitor out in the field. I will be shooting HD and I'm going to be shooting out of the country and the less gear I have the better, however, I don't want to sacrifice an entire shoot (poor contrast, excessive highlights and what not) because I want less gear to carry.
Like I said, I'm totally new to filmmaking, I have just started playing around with my 200 and have only read that relying on the hvx lcd screen is unreliable. So I definately know I need an external monitor. I really need some good advice on what to do.

I would like to buy the new mac book pro and use it as both my external monitor and editing computer. Once I finish shooting I will buy the mac monitor high def screen but am I screwing myself by not purchasing one of the above mentioned external monitors for my shoot??
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: HVX 200 and New Mac Book Pro and external monitors
on Oct 26, 2008 at 4:19:36 am

How are you planning to monitor with your MacBook Pro? Meaning how are you physically going to hook it up?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joy Marzec
on Oct 26, 2008 at 10:21:34 am

You see I'm all confused. I'm recording onto a firestore and I magically thought i would be able to firewire from my mcbpro to my camera. But I can't do that, can I?

So I beleive what I need to do is camera to firestore and then buy a field monitor and connect that to my camera, correct?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 26, 2008 at 5:53:45 pm

You can firewire in, sure. BUt that means you will have to FCP as a monitor, which won't be that great. You can look at something like Scopebox or similar scope software if you want to use other features such as waveform/vectorscope. The only caveat with using the firewire port is that you cannot shoot in the pN modes in 720p to the card. Once you go in to pN mode, the firewire port is inactive.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]