FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mirrored RAID?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Kuzelicki
Mirrored RAID?
on Oct 15, 2008 at 3:02:01 pm

Hey there,

I have a question about the P2 workflow that I would love some help with.

I recently watched Noah Kadner's great video on the HVX200 and the P2 workflow. He talks about creating a mirrored RAID with two external drives connected to a MacBook Pro laptop, basically to create two copies of your footage at the same time.

Sounds like a great idea.

He mentions that you should use two external drives of identical size and type and then gives you a process to make them a mirrored RAID. The only problem (I have) is that my MacBook Pro has just one Firewire 800 and one Firewire 400 connection.

So my question is, will this mirrored RAID work that way (two different connections at the same time) and will it affect the overall transfer speed from the P2 card to the drives ie. is it going to take twice as long because one drive is a Firewire 400?

Or should I just daisy-chain the two drives to each other via Firewire 800... would that even work?

If someone would make this clear to me it would be a great help.

Thanks kindly,

ALEX

PS - Was thinking of getting two Western Digital MyBook drives (500GB). Sound like a good idea?

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
Re: Mirrored RAID?
on Oct 15, 2008 at 3:28:21 pm

Get yourself a Dual eSata express card. Make sure that the card is Port Multiplier capable for future expansion. This is a two port esata card. Then go buy some esata enclosures and add blank drives to save money. Addonics.com have the express estata port multiplier cards for about 70 bucks.

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Mirrored RAID?
on Oct 16, 2008 at 7:13:56 am

What Nate says.

I use a sonnet esata card and a starcase enclosure (it was $60 US).

I then use Shotput P2 which will put your footage in two or three different directories at the same time. You won't have to mess with the RAID at that point. It's fall down easy and very reliable. At the end of the shoot, I'd imagine you could give one of the drives to the client if you need to. If you edit the footage yourself, you have a master and backup.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]