FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting audio on HVX-200

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kat hayes
Setting audio on HVX-200
on Oct 6, 2008 at 2:07:56 am

I am new to the HVX and production in general. I want to connect a Countryman E6 Omnidirectional earset mic into the HVX without using a mixer.

(1) Can anyone tell me if I am overlooking anything here:
- I want to set it to mic and put channel 1 and 2 on input 2.
- I connect the XLR to the Input 2
- I switch the Input 2 option to "on"
- I switch the toggle next to Input 2 to "Mic" because I have an
external mic connected.
- I switch CH 1 SELECT to Input 2 and leave CH2 SELECT set it INT
(R)
- I will set the levels on the HVX so that average dialog is right around the
second mark (-12db)

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
Re: Setting audio on HVX-200
on Oct 6, 2008 at 5:37:16 pm

Don't forget to turn on phantom power on the mic input on the HVX.

I would offset your channels so that your editor has a choice and you are protected if your talent gets too loud but other than that, what you have written sounds like the right way to do it.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 6, 2008 at 7:09:15 pm

Sounds right to me.

Does the mic need a battery?

My audio engineer friend, James, observed a problem: There are two types of XLR cables. One has a "deep seat" and another has a "shallow seat." Be certain that the mic and the cable have the same "seating." (If my memory is correct, the problem was on the mic-end not the camera-input, although we didn't actually splice the mic cable to test.)

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Oct 7, 2008 at 5:49:27 pm

Countryman will be powered by the phantom power on the HVX. No battery necessary ;-)

I have been in audio for 30 years and I have never heard of a deep seat or shallow seat XLR connector. All three pin standard XLRs plug into any XLR connection. That's the whole idea behind a standardized connector like an XLR connection, that it is universal. There are four and five pin XLR connectors for DC power connections and stereo signals and there are mini XLRs on the RED but other than those, all XLRs work with all XLRs.

Best,

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 7, 2008 at 6:27:23 pm

Well...you heard of it now. :)

Here's the exact series of observations:
1. The mic would have a crackle or wouldn't work
2. Switched XLR cables no crackle constantly worked.
3. Carefully observed the XLR cable and on the cable that didn't work, on the female end, there was an extra "O-ring" fixed to the rubber insulation that made the female end too short. Whereas, the mic that did work, the extra "o-ring" was not present.

I've been recording audio and playing music myself for 21 years, now 37 started recording my bands during high school on various 4 track and 8 track equipment. As well as engineering live high-end productions for a local megachurch. And this too was the first time I had ever noticed such a thing. My friend James--a very well accomplished singer, songwriter, and enginer has been performing and recording for longer than that, and it was the first time he'd observed something like that. He made the observation on set, and when he showed me, we just kind-of wrinkled our brows and said, "Huh?"

But I assure you the observation was accurate. I don't have the cable handy at the moment, but will take photos when I get the chance.

Return to posts index

kat hayes
on Oct 8, 2008 at 4:15:27 am

Thanks everyone for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]