FORUMS: list search recent posts

p2 in iMovieHD

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Bell
p2 in iMovieHD
on Oct 4, 2008 at 9:52:16 pm

Can SD p2 be imported into iMovieHD version 1?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: p2 in iMovieHD
on Oct 5, 2008 at 12:30:49 am

Sorry, no. iMovie doesn't do DVCPRO HD. DV, HDV and AVCHD only. And even if you shot DV with P2, iMovie does not work with P2.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Bell
on Oct 5, 2008 at 4:10:58 pm

Ok, thanks Shane. It was a curiosity, and now it's satisfied :)

Return to posts index

Bjoern Adamski
on Oct 6, 2008 at 8:07:21 pm

Hi Shane,

there are some tools out there that even allow iMovie to import P2 and other MXF media. ;-)

Best
Bjoern

---------------------
Product Manager
MXF4mac
http://mxf4mac.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 6, 2008 at 8:39:33 pm

Oho. So this makes it work with iMovie eh?

He's talking about mxf4qt.

Shane

Return to posts index

Bjoern Adamski
on Oct 6, 2008 at 8:26:26 pm

Sure. MXF4QT stands for MXF for QuickTime. Any QuickTime compatible Mac OS X application can interface with MXF4QT, most of them do so. It's not only for FCP, it works with Color, Motion and others.

Best
Bjoern

---------------------
Product Manager
MXF4mac

Return to posts index

Bjoern Adamski
on Oct 6, 2008 at 8:29:45 pm

That said, the DVCPRO HD codec is provided by FCP so it's not available on a an iMovie only system.

However iMovie does not support timecode therefore the free P2CMS 1.37 could probably do the same as it installs a basic P2 MXF reader as well and a free DVCPRO HD decoder component.

---------------------
Product Manager
MXF4mac

Return to posts index

Scott Bell
on Oct 6, 2008 at 9:09:27 pm

Thanks guys! The price might be out of my range on this little project, but then again it might not be. I'll check out the demo tonight.

Return to posts index

Bjoern Adamski
on Oct 6, 2008 at 9:15:26 pm

P2CMS from Panasonic is for free and I think it should do the job for iMovie since this is not a professional workflow where timecode is required.

---------------------
Product Manager
MXF4mac

Return to posts index

Scott Bell
on Oct 7, 2008 at 7:41:43 pm

I'm somewhat familiar with P2CMS. How would I use it to export something that iMovie could use...proxy? I just dug through it's help menu under export and came up empty.

Return to posts index

Bjoern Adamski
on Oct 7, 2008 at 8:14:52 pm

P2CMS has no media export. It just installs a P2 MXF component to let you read the native P2 MXF files. The problem is that you would need to import the separate video and audio and this seems not to make sense in this workflow as there are 2, 4 or 8 independent audio files for P2.

We have a native professional P2 workflow for FCP with "P2 Flow CM" and "MXF4QT Import" but it won't help here.

I suggest in case you need the audio in iMovie then the most practicable solution would be to use the competing solution from Greg to open the P2 files in QuickTime Player. As long as the original P2 CONTENTS structure is available it will find the audio files and includes them to the video. From the QuickTime Player you can then export to a QuickTime movie (give reference movies a try) and this should be then importable in iMovie. Not native but you can read video and audio from one true file, something that works best with iMovie. You can also have a look for a solution called Raylight, it also allows creation of reference files from P2 media.
I wouldn't call the procedure with iMovie a workflow and the time it costs you is probably worth a Final Cut Studio package but since you really need a possibility to get the P2 into iMovie there aren't much alternatives.

---------------------
Product Manager
MXF4mac

Return to posts index

Scott Bell
on Oct 7, 2008 at 9:18:13 pm

Ok, thank you. Yeah, the time it all costs is big...this started as a curiosity, since I can just have the videographer do the editing, or bump it down to tape for me. But it's cool that you guys are coming up with solutions for this format. I'll still do some playing around and see what works.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Oct 6, 2008 at 11:43:22 pm

Hi Scott,

Here's two products from my website to check out:

Calibrated{Q} MXF Import for OSX

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MXFImportQ_OSX.html

this lets you import MXF files into QuickTime based applications - and it marries the separate video/audio MXF Files of the P2 so applications see it as one file.

Calibrated{Q} DVCProHD Decode for OSX

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/DVCProHDDecodeQ.html

a QuickTime Codec for users that don't have FCP installed - this is used in conjunction with the above product so you can then import and edit P2 MXF Files in QuickTime based applications when you dont have FCP installed (which comes with a DVCProHD Codec).

Free demos on the links above.

Cheers,
Greg

Return to posts index

Bjoern Adamski
on Oct 7, 2008 at 6:27:24 am

Hi Greg,

much respect for your solution but I don't think it works for iMovie as iMovie copies or moves the selected video file to the project folder and like this the original P2 CONTENTS structure is not available anymore. As far as I understand your solution it won't find the audio and timecode anymore in this case.

Best
Bjoern

---------------------
Product Manager
MXF4mac

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Oct 7, 2008 at 6:47:37 am

Hi Bjoern,

Well it won't auto-find the audio P2 MXF Files if the MXF Files are not in the original P2 structure, but even if iMovie moves the selected video MXF files to a project folder - my plugin will still open the original video MXF files even without the P2 Folder Structure intact (with timecode support even since it's present in the MXF file - although I don't think iMovie uses timecode). And a user could still open up the Audio MXF files as well without the original P2 folder structure.

I haven't tested a workflow with iMovie out yet Scott, but I will when I get a chance or you're more than welcome to email me Scott with your findings or post them.

Cheers,
Greg

Return to posts index

Bjoern Adamski
on Oct 7, 2008 at 6:54:43 am

Hey Greg,

I would like to have a chat with you. What's the best way to contact you?

Thanks
Bjoern

---------------------
Product Manager
MXF4mac

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Oct 7, 2008 at 6:56:56 am

Hi,

info@calibratedsoftware.com is the best way to contact me.

Cheers,
Greg

Return to posts index

Scott Bell
on Oct 7, 2008 at 7:29:02 pm

I need to take the two of you to a large coffee - thanks very much! I'm normally a FCP guy, but haven't run it at home for several years now, and this is a home-based project.

I'll have more time to play with these solutions tonight. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

bradley morales
on Feb 26, 2009 at 9:01:03 pm

I am an independent short-film creator who previously shot on 16mm. I have edited some of my work on an older version of FCP on an old G4. Now I have a macbook pro only equipped with imovie. I have been reading your thread with great interest, as I may purchase a panasonic AG-HPX170. My old Sony miniDv camcorder just does not cut it visually. Currently my basic editing style works fine with imovie (and the cost of the camera prevents me from obtaining FCP at this time). Will your solution (the MXF import) work for me? I can import quicktime movies in imovie. And then I should be able to build the quicktime clips along the time line in imovie into a project.
thanks

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Shane Ross
on Feb 26, 2009 at 9:40:00 pm

First off, I have very limited experience with iMovie...and the last version I touched as VERY different from the current version...so take that as you may.

Why are you buying a $5500 professional camera and then using a consumer editing application? One that does not work with the footage that camera spits out? Just curious. Why not instead get the HMC-150, save $1500, record to nice cheaper SD cards, and then you can use iMovie:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1014

Bear in mind that you might not be able to record in the higher quality formats as iMovie might not work with them. Again...CONSUMER APPLICATION butted against a PROFESSIONAL camera.

If you do shoot with the HPX-170, and can convert to QT with something like HD Log or P2 Log...dunno if RAYLIGHT QTs will work for this (I have not done this)...you might be able to import into iMovie. NOTE! This will convert the footage from DVCPRO HD to Apple Intermediate Codec...quality loss.

I advise against using iMovie with the P2 cameras.

Shane

Return to posts index

bradley morales
on Feb 27, 2009 at 6:51:53 pm

thanks Shane,
You are right the HMC-150 is the camera for me. Coming from film, I am interested in using the frame rate associated with a more cinema look- 25fps. For my first experimenting with the camera, I will have to use imovie. I just trim clips, use the occasional dissolve or fade, create simple titles and use the occasional slo-mo. Once I've passed the camera learning curve and have the money its on to FCP. Will I need a card reader to drag it on board?
bradley

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 27, 2009 at 7:41:05 pm

Yeah, but SD card readers are like $10. This is a great CHEAP camera.

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]