FORUMS: list search recent posts

workflow questions with hpx170

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Pearson
workflow questions with hpx170
on Oct 1, 2008 at 12:30:33 am

Hey guys. Just got the HPX170 in and this is my first HD camera.

1) What settings do you use for you timeline in FCP?
a) for exporting to DVD
b) for exporting to the web
c) for any other exporting.

2) Why is it making me render every clip I bring into the timeline?

thanks for the help with the beginner questions!

Luke Pearson
http://www.LiftFilms.net

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.
-Hebrews 13:2

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: workflow questions with hpx170
on Oct 1, 2008 at 12:57:19 am

That camera shoots several settings...

you need to read its manual... determine WHICH HD you want to shoot..

then load appropriate FCP settings from Easy Setup

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Luke Pearson
on Oct 1, 2008 at 1:20:15 am

Thanks. I'm shooting 720 24pn. I've got the footage loaded into fcp but can't seem to get the timeline settings right.

Luke Pearson

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 1, 2008 at 9:05:34 am

I am assuming that you are using FCP 5.1 or 5.0...as FCP 6 will automatically set the sequence to match your footage. Your Easy Setup should be DVCPRO HD 720p24.

#28 Having to render every clip in the timeline

Shane's Stock Answer #28: When I put a clip in the timline, I have to render it before it will play. Why?

Your clip settings MUST match your timeline settings. If you have DV/NTSC material, you need a DV/NTSC timeline. The frame rate, audio rate and dimensions (4:3, 16:9) all need to match exactly. In Final Cut Pro 6, this is easy, because when you drop a clip into the timeline, it asks if you want to set up the timeline to match the settings of the first clip you drag into it. Click YES and you are ready to go.

However, in FCP 5.1 and earlier, it is a bit trickier.

The most important thing you need to do is properly set up your project from the start, and the best way to do this is to choose a setting from the Easy Setups, located under the Final Cut Pro menu.

Once you do this, you’ll need to create a new sequence. This is because the sequence that is already in your new project is setup for the typical default setting of DV/NTSC, or for the settings of your last project, which might not match what you are currently working with. So delete SEQUENCE 1 and create a new sequence:

This new sequence will contain the settings you chose in the Easy Setup menu, and should match the format you captured.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 1, 2008 at 9:07:19 am

DVCProHD 720p 23.98 so be your sequence setting if you are shooting that format.

Return to posts index

Luke Pearson
on Oct 1, 2008 at 1:16:52 pm

Thanks Shane and Michael for taking the time to help me out. That worked perfect. Now!.....If my project is meant for SD DVD or web output, will the footage look better if it is shot and edited in HD and then down converted to SD for delivery? Thanks!

Luke Pearson

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 1, 2008 at 7:09:21 pm

I would shot HD and down convert when done. Compressor does a good job going down.

Keep the frame rate the same as well as upper or progressive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]