FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 -720pn /16:9 format to FCP6 Transfer to 4:3 Beta SP for Broadcast

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Pence
P2 -720pn /16:9 format to FCP6 Transfer to 4:3 Beta SP for Broadcast
on Sep 27, 2008 at 12:40:58 am

Hello all,

I'm shooting a commercial tonight and the client wants final to be transfered to Beta SP for broadcast viewing. The television station requires it be in a 4:3 format. He also wants it to be shot in either 1080i or 720p. My question is, because he requires this to be in HD, which is a 16:9 format, what would be the best recording set-up to achieve the 4:3 ratio? Do I shoot it in 16:9 and in FCP change my settings to a 4:3 format, or is it a setting change on the camera?

Thank you,
Jason

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2 -720pn /16:9 format to FCP6 Transfer to 4:3 Beta SP for Broadcast
on Sep 27, 2008 at 2:07:33 am

Shoot 16:9 but be aware of the 4:3 frame. Might have to put tape on the LCD to note this. Then edit normally, and then when you output, output with a capture card (you will to get HD to SD) you can choose to output 4:3 pan and scan.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def
Available for workflow consultation

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 27, 2008 at 2:51:38 am

You have to make sure you are monitoring the 4:3 crop as you shoot.

I would edit in codec it was shoot then do the down-convert through your video card if can handle that. Like an AJA or Blackmagic card. They can normally down-convert and do the crop at the same time.

Second plan would be to use COmpressor to do the down-convert and cropping to the final video.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 29, 2008 at 4:49:12 pm

If the client wants it shot in HD, then he may want it broadcast in letterbox format, so the entire image is retained. That's what I like to do.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 1, 2008 at 9:24:55 am

[Jason Jenkins] "may want" so the question is do you want to be safe. If you need to be safe you have to shoot to protect 4:3 framing. You are not doing anything to the actual image, you are just making sure that if you do crop your important stuff is in the center part of the screen. Cameras like the HVX200 actual have guide markers you can turn on for this (the higher camera probably have this also) so once again you are not doing anything to the source, letterboxing or center cropping (Pan and Scan) are both done after the final edit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]